This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Search results output

• Creator
    Topic
    dklahre
    Participant

I made a search on Google for a specific group of words in parentheses. The search pulled up three results

http://postimg.org/image/ho9mo8y17/

1) As you can see, the second result shows my author name. How do I change this name?
    2) Is there a way to stop author based posts from entering into the search results?
    3) The third result shows a category result. Is this important for people finding a website? If so, how do I optimize this feed without getting a penalty from Google for duplicate content?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I apologize but the issues you’re asking about are not related to the theme and I unfortunately cannot advise you on SEO practices.

If you look into using a search engine related WordPress plugin like Yoast SEO, for example, it can help you to modify these things you’re asking about.

dklahre
    Participant

Surely questions 1 and 2 are theme related. Isn’t there a way to stop my sign in name from being broadcast to the internet? Also, it seems natural that I would be able to stop a redundant feed without Yoast (I’m using All In One SEO).

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

None of those things are actually theme-related, believe it or not. I don’t personally know how all-in-one works, only Yoast.

In #1 you’re asking about what is commonly referred to as the “title tag” — assuming you’re using a version of the theme that was published in the last couple years, this text is completely generated by WordPress for each page of your site. The specific username text it’s displaying within that generated title tag is the “public display” name you’ve set in your user account settings of your WordPress dashboard.

Yoast SEO plugin also has settings that allow you to customize the title tag text completely for different pages of your website. So, you’ll want to check that out.

In #2 you’re asking about author archives that WordPress generates on the frontend of your site, no matter what theme you’re using. Sure, the layout and design of the presentation of content has to do with your theme, but whether or not those pages exist or if search engines will crawl them, does not.

WordPress does not have settings for disabling these pages from being generated, or crawled and cached in search engines, that I know of. Yoast SEO gives you settings for hiding certain pages from search engines, but I’m not sure if they have they have settings for archives. I’m sure, though, if you googled about hiding author archives from search engines you’d find an answer.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I googled for more info and you can actually do it all with Yoast SEO plugin, including changing title tags and hiding pages from search engines all related to your archives. This might be an article you’d want to check out:

https://mikelittle.org/duplicate-content-in-wordpress/

In the end of the post and in the comments replying to readers, the author talks more about specifically about what to do with Yoast.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.