This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Question about updating

• Creator
    Topic
    lprcompany
    Participant

If I uploaded the most recent version of Alyeska using the easy method (without FTP), will I be able to use a child theme? I remember in another thread you said it looked like it would be OK if I did it that way since I wasn’t using a child theme.

EL

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you have the child theme activated, and under Appearance > Themes, you click “Delete” on the parent theme, you’re going to get a fatal error on your site because your currently active child theme needs that parent theme. This error will lock you out of your WP admin, and you’ll have to go in through FTP to fix it.

So, if you did want to use that method, you need to first make sure the child theme is not active while you’re messing with this stuff. What I mean is temporarily de-activate the child theme while you’re performing the update. Then put it back after you’re done.

lprcompany
    Participant

So just to be clear, I can activate the Child Theme now, but when I update to the next version of Alyeska I must temporarily de-activate the child theme?

EL

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yes, that is what I meant. That is one way you could do it.

However did you see there’s now updates you can feed automatically from Envato through your WP admin? If you’re using Alyeska 3.0+, you can set things up like this:

http://support.themeblvd.com/docs/theme-updates/#themeforest (see “Automatic Updates”)

I think this will be much more convenient for you. With this, it shouldn’t make any difference if the Child theme is active or not.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.