This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

pubdate is dead

• Creator
    Topic
    karlo
    Participant

[Edited by Jason – removed information related to topic I moved this from]

To the point and real reason why I posted ๐Ÿ™‚

“pubdate” Jason. What does it mean to you? Same as to HTML specs, Automattic, Core themes? Ok then delete ๐Ÿ™‚

Is gone, https://github.com/Automattic/_s/pull/93 http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/22095 Dont think it FINALLY dissapeared until late last year. Which is why the _s dev. go take it easy! – but is now and why they removed it. I dont care that much for validator but it does give error there – even if that could have been bogus.

I just had some fun researching why validator suggest an inline style declaration should have “scoped” attached. And even more WHEN you do just that it says you should not, lol. Great fun. I ended up with a Paul Irish quote on this issue

The validator will bitch at you if you have a style elem outside of the head. Scoping isnt supported and you should NOT do it for validation reasons, it has very explicit meanings in HTML5 and WebKit is soon landing support for it.

Browsers, on the other hand, don’t give a shit about where your style elements are. So feel free to put them where you have to. (Assuming you have a good reason to put it outside of the head… which I’m curious about..)

Anyway, yet another example of how the validator does not reflect the reality of browsers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Best part is quote is from 2011. Just one big happy coffee-club. Great tool for catching stupid errors but they fail with all things under debate. Or just new. Microsoft.com have 539 errors or something. And still call HTML5 validator “experimental” to cover their butt. Not like they dont have resources, too much coffee I think.

But “pubdate” is really 100% dead!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    karlo
    Participant

What I was trying to say with the “If you also hate…” part was you must be careful with all those starting and closing PHP tags. For some reason theme devs. think that is cool and not annoying. I guess they do it to maintain a consistent style and due to many HTML tags = guaranteed start/stop of PHP, they just go all out. Nothing special to Jump Start.

If you see white screens you have same issue as me. A good code editor, good syntax highlighting is how to get by. Gets a bit worse if you have to comment every other line like some do. HTML comments are nothing like PHP and must not be mixed.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hey Karlo,

I just wanted to move this to a new topic because @sharonq has had a lot of trouble with the PHP side of things and anything to do with actions or filters. So, I’m trying to give her an easy solution and not over complicate anything for her so she doesn’t get too frustrated.

โ€œpubdateโ€ Jason. What does it mean to you? Same as to HTML specs, Automattic, Core themes? Ok then delete

You’re right. I honestly just did it because Twenty Twelve theme did it. I’ll take a look at changing it. Here’s the current format it looks like they’re using for the date in Twenty Twelve and upcoming Twenty Thirteen:

<time class="entry-date" datetime="%3$s">%4$s</time>

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-content/themes/twentytwelve/functions.php
    http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk/wp-content/themes/twentythirteen/functions.php

What I was trying to say with the โ€œIf you also hateโ€ฆโ€ part was you must be careful with all those starting and closing PHP tags. For some reason theme devs. think that is cool and not annoying.

Yeah, it’s just a code styling sort of standard in the most of the frontend WordPress template files when you have a lot of HTML markup. It’s easier for most people to read and work with. Makes them feel like they’re working more with HTML, opposed to the scary world of PHP.

karlo
    Participant

Yes you are right about the “help”. But do it once and voila ๐Ÿ™‚ TEST site + editor and done!

Cool, away with pubdate. I give 1 point to Validator for that one. I had no clue of it to be honest.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.