This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

problems upgrading

• Creator
    Topic
    David Ould
    Participant

hi Jason, thanks for the call over 🙂

I’ll just repost my question from the sales forum,

I have an old version of Swagger purchased through a bundle. Love the theme and am keen to purchase a full version and upgrade it. I’m currently running 1.0.7

Purchased the theme and uploaded using the standard installation but at the end of the upload I got an error message telling me that I can’t upload since the directory already exists. Am I missing something obvious or will I have to do a manual ftp upload?

Quite happy to do that but obviously don’t want to lose the settings I already have.

thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums. Basically, what’s happening is that WordPress isn’t going to allow you to install one theme over top another theme. To do the approach you’re doing of trying to upload the new theme through your WordPress admin, you’d have to first delete the current version of the theme before updating the new one.

Personally, I don’t recommend doing this because then you will not have a backup of what you’re working with. I would go in with your FTP program to /wp-content/themes/ and rename the current “swagger” directory (which contains 1.0.7) to something else like “swagger-1.0.7” or “swagger-backup” for example. Then, unzip your new swagger.zip and upload the resulting “swagger” folder.

Checkout the following video that will take you through both options and explain them a bit:

https://vimeo.com/41533135

And then moving forward with the current Swagger, you can use our built-in update system, as explained here:

http://support.themeblvd.com/docs/theme-updates/#themeforest

Note: The above video was made before this feature existed.

David Ould
    Participant

thanks Jason.

That’s what I thought would be needed. More than happy and confident to do that. I’ll get onto it later today and report back when it’s completed.

thanks for the quick response 🙂

d

David Ould
    Participant

Jason,

All done and working correctly!

Just one observation – once I’d installed the new plugins the “old version” of the theme prompted me to update. I wonder if in the future the solution for someone in my situation is to install that plugin, register the purchase and then let it happen automatically?

thanks again for the prompt and complete support!

d

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I wonder if in the future the solution for someone in my situation is to install that plugin, register the purchase and then let it happen automatically?

What plugin are you referring to?

Are you talking about all of the plugins like Layout Builder, Sliders, Shortcodes, etc? If so, these remain installed, and they are completely separate from the process of updating your theme.

Apologies, I guess I’m just not quite sure what you’re asking.

David Ould
    Participant

my mistake. I thought there was a plugin that managed the upgrade process. My fault for not checking properly!

All worked well for me. I can report that the settings were maintained even when the old folder was renamed and so the upgrade was painless.

Great work, Jason!

d

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Perfect, glad to hear it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Swagger Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.