This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Printing page no longer working as before

• Creator
    Topic
    voncms
    Participant

When trying to print any page on Alyeska now it seems to jump to some kind of mobile version now and displays the url after each link. Any way to be able to try and print what I see on the screen like back before the update?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

The theme’s mobile viewport size is now caught earlier at 767px and below, where as before it was 480px. This just puts it in the size of many browser’s printing viewports, which is one of several reasons we widened the mobile viewport size. This collapsed version of the site at 767px and below provides both a better experience on a wider range of mobile devices along with a more readable printed version for articles on your site. However, looking over it now, what I think doesn’t look right is how you get the mobile navigation button in the header. I will make sure that is hidden for printing in the next update.

voncms
    Participant

Thanks for the info is there a way to remove the URL showing after every link. It seems to have issues when printing post grids or galleries. The URL overlaps over other text and can not get a good print out. Thanks.

voncms
    Participant

Or a possible custom css I could add to turn it off altogether to work like before? I love the update but need the pages to be able to be printed as well thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Every web browser is going to print differently. It’s a tough game trying to accomplish one print style across all browsers.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know about the display of the URL’s? Maybe something to research online.

The responsive viewport size is controlled from /assets/css/responsive.min.css — I honestly wouldn’t mess with it; you’re probably going to run into many other hassles from this.

Generally speaking, when people are styling for print, they do not set things up to print out the webpage as it displays on the computer. It’s usually more about trying to get whatever content exists on a given page to print nicely.

This is a great article that I’ve tried to do my best to emulate with the theme:

http://alistapart.com/article/alaprintstyles

If you’re like to explore adding your own styles from your Child theme that are just for printing, you can do it like this:

@media print {
          /* Your print-only CSS goes here... */
    }
    voncms
    Participant

Thanks for the info Jason I was looking in theme.css and theme.min.css, I have no idea where the url’s are coming from either.

voncms
    Participant

Hmmm posting

@media print {

a:link:after, a:visited:after {
    content: “”;
    }

}

Seems to work nice 🙂

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Oh, the URL’s wouldn’t have anything to do with the theme. This would be a function of the printing from the browser, I assume? That’s why I was saying it was maybe something to research.

But yeah, if adding the empty content after works, that’s great!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.