This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Post List Categories

• Creator
    Topic
    leahb

Using the shortcode, I am unable to get it to list just one category. It lists all posts under all of the categories on the site. However, I can avoid this by using custom fields, but I need the customization ability of the shortcode for this page. This is what my short code looks like:
    [post_list categories=”board-of-directors” thumbs=”small” numberposts=”15″]

I even tried using the category number, to no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Give it a try like this with “category_name” —

[post_list category_name="board-of-directors" thumbs="small" numberposts="15"]

[edit]

Sorry, this isn’t correct. It should be “categories” as you had it. — I was getting ahead of myself, as it will be “category_name” in the next update to the theme, Alyeska v2.2, with a fallback in place for people using the old method of “categories”

leahb

I just tried the exact thing. Unfortunately it is still pulling all categories rather than just the one. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the quick reply.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Something is off here. This is all working on my end. Are you sure you’ve got the category slug correct?

leahb

Positive. I have even tried using it for other categories and it continues to pull the entire list. I’ll be glad to give you the login information if that is helpful.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Sure, send it over and I’ll check it out. You can send it through My Account > Submit Private Info here on the support website.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Still a bit of a mystery, but there was just something odd about how that category was created or saved initially. I started with changing that category’s slug to something else, and was able to get it to work. Then, I changed it back to “board-of-directors” and saved it again; now, everything appears to be working.

leahb

Strange – thanks so much for figuring that out for me!

leahb

Actually, on a second look, it still isn’t working. You are correct that it is pulling the category board-of-directors, and it is placing it first. However, at the end of it, it starts pulling all other posts for the site. You can tell the difference between the Board of Directors posts and the other posts in that the other posts are all military members.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It appears you’re getting things a little mixed up? Now you have the Post List page template applied to that page, which means whatever [post_list] shortcode you’re using in the body of the page is irrelevant. I added the custom field “category_name” to the page and now it is working.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.