This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Post Grid Slider Scrolling

• Creator
    Topic
    Brett
    Participant

Is there a way to set up post grid slider that scrolls 1 image at a time?

For example, I’m trying to set up a featured post area with a post grid slider that displays 3 posts at a time. If you press the arrow it scrolls to display the next three but I want it to just display the next post while keeping two of the posts that were displayed.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Apologies, Brett, but I’m not aware of a way to do this with the FlexSlider jQuery plugin used for the post grid slider.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I think taking this example:

http://flexslider.woothemes.com/dynamic-carousel-min-max.html

… Looks like you can set an “itemWidth” and then you’d have to add “move” property at “1”.

https://github.com/woothemes/FlexSlider/wiki/FlexSlider-Properties

I’ve already re-done the post grid slider for the next update. I will see if I can make this functionality possible. I agree the post grid slider would work a little better as a carousel.

Brett
    Participant

I was looking through the properties and saw

move 0 Number Number of carousel items that should move on animation.

In your most recent version of Jumpstart, the flexslider has this set to 0 in the flexslider.js file. If this was changed to 1, would that move it only 1 slide at a time?

Line 860 of the flexslider.js file has

move: 0, //{NEW} Integer: Number of carousel items that should move on animation. If 0, slider will move all visible items.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Unfortunately it’s not that simple.

First off, the current post grid slider has the posts grouped into the “slides”. So for example, if you have it setup 3×1. This means that each “slide” (as flexslider sees it) is the group of the three posts. In other words, each individual post is not its own slide to be rotated.

However, if the output of the post grid slider had each post in its own slide, then it could sort of be possible. — The flexslider has to be in “carousel” mode. This is done by setting the itemWidth property. So, you’d have to set the itemWidth (in pixels) and set move to 1.

The problem though is that is not responsive (see all the people complaining). This is a bit complicated in our framework here because these sliders can be placed in so many places where there are going to be all kinds of widths. There would have to be some sort of JS function that dynamically figures out the pixel width of the given grid items based on the current situation, and then continues to re-calculate it and feed it back to FlexSlider.

… Similar to this example, but doing it for itemWidth.

Brett
    Participant

Ah, that makes more sense then. It’s technically not a carousel then, it just looks like one since it has the different posts in there. I assume that’s also why it won’t work with the infinite scroll where the first post appears seamlessly after the last post rather than the final slide having empty slots if the number of posts is uneven.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, I just close off the last slide, if it has less posts than the others. I’ve messed around with this, and I don’t think it’s going to be possible in the next update.

Conceptually it just doesn’t match up with how the post grid works, and we set “columns” — Your true “carousel” (at least with current Flexslider) would need a fixed width for the individual posts. So, as you expand and condense the browser window, more or less posts are visable at once, opposed to always seeing the same number of posts visable at a time, that expand or shrink.

Brett
    Participant

I think your biggest problem is the perception that it is a carousel and it should work like a carousel because it looks like a carousel. I never really gave much thought about it being a regular slider that is just displaying posts in the set number of rows and columns in each slide but that makes total sense. I never needed it for anything that specifically needed the functionality of a true carousel so I never looked into it.

Brett
    Participant

Have you heard of the bxSlider? I came across that and it looks interesting.

They have a carousel page http://bxslider.com/examples/carousel-demystified so I might just try to implement that for what I need.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.