This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Portfolio – Gallery

• Creator
    Topic
    jphipps
    Participant

Is there better documentation on setting up a gallery or portfolio of products/services? This theme seems to be much more difficult than any other theme I have used. Documentation is not too good on this.

Why is this so difficult? What am I missing?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

You’d create a series of posts, where each post would represent an item in your portfolio. Then, on a page you’d display these posts in a grid.

There are three different ways you could display a “post grid” —

Option 1: Apply a custom layout to a page using the Layout Builder, and add a “Post Grid” element to your layout that displays these posts.

Option 2: Add the [post_grid] shortcode to a page, which is set to include these posts.

Option 3: Apply the “Post Grid” page template to a page (least user friendly, to input where the posts are coming from).

Were you able to find the “Creating the classic portfolio” video series in your documentation? This is outlined there.

==========

Additionally, if you’d like these “posts” (i.e. items) to be a separate kind of post from what you use in your Blog, you can activate our Portfolios plugin. This will create what WordPress refers to as a “custom post type” — which we call “Portfolio Items”.

All of this methodology should be fairly common through out all WordPress themes you’ll find. Probably the main difference is where other themes use the term “portfolio” we say “post grid”.

jphipps
    Participant

OK, downloaded the Portfolios plugin but it does not seem to help in displaying anything. The Portfolio items I generate to not show at all. So, when back to the post option, and set the gallery page using the Shortcodes tool to –

[post_grid portfolio=”pipe-cutting” columns=”3″ rows=”3″ orderby=”date” order=”DESC”]

This, however, displays all posts regardless as on – http://astlasercutting.com/gallery/

Also, client would just like photos displayed under categories. How do I remove the “Read More” button?

Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The Portfolio items I generate to not show at all. So, when back to the post option, and set the gallery page using the Shortcodes tool to –
    Also, client would just like photos displayed under categories. How do I remove the “Read More” button?

Yeah, that should be all there is to it. If you want, you can send me a login to your WP admin, I can try to see what’s going on there?

If you’d like that, you can send the info by going to My Account > Submit Private Info here on the support site. Just please post back here in this topic after you’ve sent the info.

Through user options, this can’t be controlled on individual post grids. However, you can adjust this for general design of all post grids. You do this from Appearance > Theme Options > Content > Post Grids.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Everything seems to be working the way it should on your site, as far as I can tell with your gallery page. You only have one portfolio called “pipe-cutting” —

1) Putting the post grid shortcode and portfolio=pipe-cutting works fine.

2) Selecting a custom layout, and configuring a post grid element to pull from that portfolio also works fine. (this is how I left your page)

You currently only have two portfolio items, both in the pipe-cutting portfolio. So, to verify, I added a third portfolio item, that’s not in that portfolio. And on your gallery page, you can see that the third item I created is properly excluded.

So, what can’t you figure out? Or what is confusing you?

Thanks – was hoping to use the plugin to do all of this…

The only thing you can’t do at the link you provided in your message, is that there’s no category sorting with our post grid system.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

One more note: On your “Laser Pipe Cutting” item, the featured image link option wasn’t set under “Post Options” — So I set it to link to its enlarged version in a lightbox, which is what I assume you’re going for based on the link you sent me previously of what you’re trying to accomplish.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.