This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Parent theme will not install

• Creator
    Topic
    jodypage

I’ve redownloaded and tried multiple times to get the extracted parent theme to install. I’m using WP 3.5.1. The child theme installed just fine. Please advise.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m sure there’s a simple explanation. Can you please more specific about what you’re doing and what the issue is you’re facing? Have you checked out the “Common installation issues” section of the first chapter “Getting Started” of your documentation? I have a feeling you’ll find your answer there.

seantannler

I am having the same problem. I am a designer so have installed many themes. We actually bought Aleyska before with no problems. I just bought it again this morning. Now it fails-The child theme actually installs, but when you then go to the parent, still fails-so either way. Also, other themes are downloading fine on that WordPress account. Let me know what you think?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

@seantannler Is this a WordPress.com website where you’re trying to install this theme?

seantannler

No- We are building new site for a customer on thedme.org/wordpress. I am using the wordpress folder so her current html site stays live. Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All right, so as I asked jody, can you please tell me more information about what you’re doing in installing the theme and what kind of error you’re getting? And have you looked at the common installation issues section of your documentation that came in your theme package?

jodypage

Hmmm. I gave up trying to upload through WPress and just did the old fashioned way via FTP. Dragged the parent folder into wp-content and it seems to work now. We’re going to use a different theme for this project afterall, but glad I finally got it to upload. Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This just means the theme’s ZIP is a larger file size than whatever you have set of your PHP upload limit on your server. This often happens with Alyeska because of all the background image it comes with.

seantannler

Well I have no idea how to fix this, so I will probably have to use a different theme. Its unfortunate bc I really like this one- but I’m a designer, not a developer, enough to get by with easy stuff-not an expert in php files or php file sizes, etc and its my clients hosting account so I am reluctant to make any changes that might affect her current site or account. Unless you have any other ideas for me, I can’t help but feeling like I spent $47.00 on a theme for a small job and I can’t use it. Don’t get me wrong Jason, I really think the theme is awesome-but not if I can’t use it. Thanks, Sean

seantannler

They have their hosting through Dreamhost and I’m not that familiar with them much. I have navigated through their admin panels I have all the information but cannot find settings like this for space limitations. —BTW I CAN install it on another of my own domains through GoDaddy-I just tested it-So its not your file- I sent an email to Dreamhost but who knows-they always try and wiggle out of helping with WP. Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

@seantannler As it says in the common installation issues of your documentation that I was trying to point you to, all you need to do is unzip the alyeska.zip package and and upload the resulting “alyeska” folder to your web server with an FTP program to /wp-content/themes/ where you have WordPress installed. No development knowledge required. The second installation video from your documentation will show you how to do this: https://vimeo.com/16681592

If you do not know how to access files on your server or use an FTP program, and you’re going to be managing someone’s website, this will truly a good exercise. I don’t mean that as in insult in any way. Your web host should have you setup with FTP access. Give it a try. Let me know if you can’t figure it out; there’s simply no way that something like this should inhibit you from using the theme.

seantannler

Jason:

I used Filezilla and was able to successfully install the theme. Thank you! I was just rusty, once I started I was ok and recall the FTP stuff. After that, I installed the child theme to use. I gather that is what is recommended-I read the docs on child theme-one question, As the parent must be installed to use the child on WP. But once I upload the new site, is the child theme “standalone” per se-(becomes its own “theme” In other words I won’t need to involve the parent at that point? Thanks again. Sean

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I used Filezilla and was able to successfully install the theme. Thank you! I was just rusty, once I started I was ok and recall the FTP stuff.

Awesome, glad you figured it out!

After that, I installed the child theme to use. I gather that is what is recommended-

You only need the Child theme if you’re planning to make code customizations to the theme. Otherwise, there really isn’t any need for it.

As the parent must be installed to use the child on WP. But once I upload the new site, is the child theme “standalone” per se-(becomes its own “theme” In other words I won’t need to involve the parent at that point?

No, that’s not quite how it works. Both themes always need to present in your themes directory.

Your Child theme is basically just a way to consolidate all of your overriding code customizations to one place. However, this Child theme’s style.css file still references to WordPress where the Parent theme’s directory is located. Without this parent theme being present in your themes directory that your Child theme is pointing WordPress to, nothing will work.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.