This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Override theme.min.css?

• Creator
    Topic
    Eric
    Participant

I seem to pick things to modify that a child theme style.css file doesn’t seem to affect. I have altered the slider and found editing the theme.min.css directly was the only way to see any changes. Is there a way to still use a child theme css and override the theme.min.css for such things? Another example would be changing the color of the header phone number. I know I can change it in the styles/css area in the theme options, but I would like to keep all my stuff in one place in the child style.css file if possible. Thanks in advance!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Helo Eric,

There’s honestly no reason to edit theme.min.css. You just want to put your overriding CSS edits in your own Custom CSS. If you wanted, you can copy essentially anything from theme.min.css or any other CSS file to your own Custom CSS to override, or write your own custom overriding CSS rules.

Make sure to checkout the video from your documentation on the child theme that comes with the theme: http://vimeo.com/41331677

=======

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

Eric
    Participant

Jason,

I know it takes patience to deal with the masses. OK, 6 min into the video I see where I have been going wrong all this time. I have been adding my changes to the style.css in my child theme instead of the custom.css inside the assets folder. Thought I knew it all. It’s all about reading the manual!!

Thanks again!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.