This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Other Template or Layout for the the default blog page

• Creator
    Topic
    Slobodan
    Participant

Hi

This is my first post and before going with the question just to say I like the framework and that’s the reason I bought it two days ago :). Great job.

I’m playing around with the framework and I noticed that I cannot change the Blog page layout once you set that page as a Posts Page from the Settings >> Reading, while setting the Home page as a Front Page.

I understand I can manipulate the home page if I chose it to show latest posts. From Theme Options I can apply custom layouts to a home page and set a grid option if I wish so.

But once I set the front page to show a static page I cannot anymore manipulate the layout of the page I set to display posts. It can only be shown as post list no matter which template I chose or sidebar layout. It will always display lists posts and sidebar on the right, even if I set Post Grid and Sidebar Left or Double Sidebar.

Am I missing something or this is purposely?

Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thanks, glad to hear you’re liking the framework!

If you want to use a custom layout for this, you just need to ditch the traditional WordPress “posts page”. Don’t set anything for a posts page under Settings > Reading. And instead, just create a static page, apply your custom layout to it, and link to it; this will be your “Blog” or whatever you want to call it. Make sense?

But once I set the front page to show a static page I cannot anymore manipulate the layout of the page I set to display posts. It can only be shown as post list no matter which template I chose or sidebar layout. It will always display lists posts and sidebar on the right, even if I set Post Grid and Sidebar Left or Double Sidebar.

This is because in WordPress, your “posts page” is your “home” page. When you set a “posts page” you’re telling WordPress you want that page to be replaced with what it internally sees as the traditional blog homepage. And as a result of this, WordPress completely abandons anything that has to do with that page — Page template, Page title, Page settings, etc — it all becomes irrelevant as WordPress modifies the main query and thus uses your theme’s homepage file.

Slobodan
    Participant

Yeap, all resolved by removing the Posts page from the reading settings. Thanks!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.