This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Organizing images and photos

• Creator
    Topic
    cowboymike
    Participant

Hi Jason,
    I am going to try and use alyeska to display real estate listings.

Before I get to far I would like to begin organizing photos and images. I noticed in the alyeska sample data site that the photos and images dont seem to be organized in any way.

Is there a way from within wp to organize images into folders or directories? For example, if I have a property listing and address I would like to have all the photos of that property in a folder named for example, 110-mystreet and have the slider for the property listing get the photos from that directory.

Does that make sense?
    What do you think?

Happy trails, Mike

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Mike,

Internally, WordPress organizes all media you upload chronologically into directories based on the month and year. I doubt that is going to change anytime soon. However, the main way that the user is meant to organize photos is by attaching them to specific posts and pages.

Currently, you do this by uploading those media items while editing the specific post or page. When you upload a bunch of images when editing a page, for example, those images then become “Attached” to that page and are now makeup the “gallery” of that page. But after you’ve uploaded the images there’s really no way to modify how they’re attached to which pages without deleting and re-uploading (unless you find a 3rd party plugin). This is pretty much the extent of WordPress offers in this regard.

However, the Media Manager is the big focus of the upcoming WordPress 3.5 release. They haven’t really changed how the overall system works, but they’ve now made it so you can manage these “Galleries” much more efficiently, and I believe that is how you’ll want to start managing your media.

cowboymike
    Participant

Thank you Jason.
    Do you foresee any issues, database or server resources with using many sliders…if I had a lot of properties listed in the web site, with a slider for each property? I have a managed vps account with TMZ and I have 1536mb of ram, 65gb of disk and 200gb of bandwidth.

Also, I was going to put all the condo listings into a category named for example “Hibiscus Condo Units”. Is it possible with Alyeska to have the page layout for just that category, individual posts/condo listings to be full width pages?

Thanks for your patience.
    Mike

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by cowboymike.
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Do you foresee any issues, database or server resources with using many sliders…

No, I don’t see any issues, but naturally having a slider on a page requires much more resources all around than just putting an image, for example.

Is it possible with Alyeska to have the page layout for just that category, individual posts/condo listings to be full width pages?

You’d have to just go to each post and select the sidebar layout individually for each post.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.