This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Missing menu at 770px

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark Wiard
    Participant

I am working on my first project with Jump Start. I am very pleased with it.

As I am testing, when I resize a window to 770 and thereabouts, the the main menu disappears, and the menu icon has yet to appear. This seems like it leaves some screen sizes without any menu functionality.

Am I missing something in the responsive design philosophy. Shouldn’t there be a menu at every single screen size?

mark

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m looking at the live demo for the theme, and unless I’m missing something, I’m not seeing the issue you’re describing. This is something you’re seeing with your personal project? I’d need to see a live link to what you’re working on to tell you what you’re doing.

Mark Wiard
    Participant

Jason,

I am looking at the live demo here to confirm

themeblvd.com/demo/jumpstart/

I am viewing this on a Mac 10.8 Firefox 19 (also see it in Safari). I use a plugin called Firesizer that tells me the exact dimensions of my browser window.

I can also replicate it using this site for simple responsive testing.

http://responsive.is/ put in the jumpstart demo url – themeblvd.com/demo/jumpstart/

and view the horizontal tablet, then the vertical tablet, and I don’t see the menus.

It does seem like I need to do a specific order of resizing the make this issue show up. Reduce the screen size so the Menu icon takes over, then enlarge the window until I the Menu icon goes away.

If you don’t see it, I will consider it a non-issue. I am very happy with the results that I have with Jumpstart on this site.

http://absolutebikesadventures.com/

Still polishing of course.

mark

karlo
    Participant

Butting in but I do that:

Some lines in CSS I never understood

/* Make sure graphic nav shows when expanding window back from tablet size */
    @media (min-width: 801px) {
    #access {
    	height: auto !important;
    	overflow: visible !important;
    }
    }

When mobile menu kicks in at 768px should this not be 769px? There is no-mans land up to 801px? If not what you talk about ignore.

Definitely related if you check with tools. Firesizer is not good for this. Use build-in CTRL-SHIFT-M for “Responsive Design Mode” – give accurate numbers and you can drag handles to increase/decrease width. Firebug works too, can refresh, add own presets. Plus Chrome cant do this 😉 Still a bit new but Firefox build in dev. tools might be worth getting used to. Firebug will eventually go away.

Also some tools count scrollbar width while others do not. Depends on how “inner” they are. Matters a bit if you add own CSS code.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I’m not totally sure why this is happening, but I see what you mean now looking at Firefox.

What’s ironic about this is it’s not even anything to do with the CSS @media queries. I have a little javascript thing I wrote that toggles the menu back and forth and is only there for the people like you guys and me playing with their website in the web browser on the computer. It realistically doesn’t actually have much bearing on the actual responsiveness of the site with people in terms of viewing the site on various devices.

For example, in Firefox, re-size your browser to just the right spot where the nav disappears and you’re talking about the problem. Then, leaving your web browser at that size, refresh the browser and watch the menu then appear. In other words, view your website on an actual tablet and you will the navigation is of course there. In the javascript that shows/hide the menu, there must just be something slightly off about how the viewports are calculated. In chrome this doesn’t happen. So there just be something off by a few pixels between the two browsers in how all of this is calculated.

Mark Wiard
    Participant

Jason,

This makes sense, and I am happy. Consider the issue closed.

Carlo,

I am transitioning to the Firefox built in tools, just having trouble letting go of Firebug.

mark

karlo
    Participant

Same here. Firebug best for CSS, HTML stuff, Chrome for techy data/diagnostics. Firefox internals somewhere in between.

Anyway, I dont use it 🙂 But this width/height stuff can be important so I use FitWeird.js http://davatron5000.github.com/fitWeird/ Click button to see it. I load JS file from a tiny tiny plugin. Can turn on/off with ease. When numbers are important I want them in real time and in my face not from bookmarklet.

Numbers from FitWeird match those in Firefox 100%. http://pastie.org/6404933

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.