This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Displaying a gallery in Mini Post Grid widget

• Creator
    Topic
    jbonaventura

Hey Jason,

First off, love this theme. Awesome job man. I’m having trouble with the mini post grid. I created a gallery and place it in a post, but no matter what i do the widget displays every image in my media library. How do i target a specific gallery, or post to display?

Thanks

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I assume you’ve found the gallery option in the widget and you’re putting the post ID that the gallery is associated with, right? Or are you not understanding that part of it?

If you do understand how the images are attached to a specific post in WordPress and you’re putting this post ID into the widget’s gallery option. Can I see a link to where you’re doing this so I can understand the context? There may be some other element of your page conflicting in some way.

jbonaventura

I guess I’m not understanding that part…the id is ?p=896. if i put character other than an integer in the gallery id, all media library images display. here is a screen shot of the post the gallery is associated with.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/35lgi1e.png[/IMG]

jbonaventura

I think what i need is the proper syntax to enter in the gallery id override…i created a category named “embroidery-gallery”, it isn’t present in the categories dropbox…if i enter “category_name=embroidery-gallery&showposts=6” this is what appears..

http://www.camdendesignsinc.com/embroidery-2

the images are the last 6 i uploaded to the media library, not the gallery i associated with the post “embroidery gallery” or the category…

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Ok, so first I think you’re misunderstanding how galleries work in WordPress, just in general. I totally understand, as it is confusing and always has been a little confusing. The new media uploader in WP 3.5 has made great strides towards getting this to be more logical but still is more of a “skin” over top the old system and how it works.

Classically, a gallery in its default form is all of the images attached to the post or page you’re editing. The images “attached” are the ones you’ve uploaded while editing that post or page. WordPress has never given a way for you to be able to change this. — Meaning if you upload these three images while editing a post, there’s no way to detach them from that post and attach them to another.

Basically the answer to your question is that you need to first upload a set of images while editing a certain post. Now WordPress internally attaches those images to that post. Now you can go to Mini Post Grid and put in the ID (i.e. simply “896”) of the post into the gallery option, and it’s going to pull all attachments of that post. And you wouldn’t be doing anything in the custom query option.

But I’m looking closer at WP 3.5’s media uploader and I can see how is totally would not be clear to the average person. Everything still works the same as it used to, but they don’t actually show you any more what images are attached to a post. I think it’s because they’re trying to inevitably move away from this way of how WP works. So maybe we can improve this later in the Mini Post Grid, as well.

jbonaventura

Thanks a lot man. I’ll go back and upload them directly from the post. Appreciate your help. Awesome service, awesome product.

jbonaventura

It worked. Dude you rule!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Awesome, glad to hear it.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.