This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Menu size and body color issues

• Creator
    Topic
    alisonstuart
    Participant

I have been customizing the body color and menu width for our site, but we have run into some problems. The site address is: http://69.195.124.80/~projeff7/

Here is a screen shot showing the two problems: http://i40.tinypic.com/fbx0l1.jpg
    1. I can’t get the black menu to stretch to the left
    2. There is a white vertical line that I can’t figure out how to color with the new body color.

Any suggestions on how to solve these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alison

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Allison,

You should be really using a Child theme from making customizations like this. It’s going to make your life a lot easier, opposed to trying to add a custom stylesheet into the actual parent theme. Then, you’ll be able to store all your customizations in one place.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

1. I can’t get the black menu to stretch to the left

While it appears below to give the illusion it’s wrapped over the content area, the menu is apart of the #top DIV. So, you need to adjust its overall max-width to match the content width, which is now a bit muddled with how you’re placing the negative margins along the side.

I would take a step back and look at the approach you’re taking in making the overall theme width. It appears your goal is to essentially make everything wider, right? Going back to the start, you could simply do this:

#top,
    #featured,
    #main,
    #featured_below,
    #bottom,
    #after-footer {
    	max-width: 1000px; /* just make this wider */
    }

Taking this approach will ensure that everything within (like the menu) flows and expands with the overall container.

2. There is a white vertical line that I can’t figure out how to color with the new body color.

You can find all this referenced that you want to override in /assets/css/style/light.css under the comment “Sidebars”.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.