This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Lightbox Image Size

• Creator
    Topic
    kevinp
    Participant

First of all, I really appreciate all the help resources you provide through your documentation, videos, and support forum. I believe I have learned more in the past week than I would have through any of the other theme providers I considered.

I have reviewed your documentation for image sizes/thumbnail sizes and use of the post grid to create a portfolio and will trying that next. I would like to confirm my understanding of a few points and have a couple of questions regarding images sizes before I start uploading some sample images for testing.

Is there a recommended maximum image size to upload to the media library and will be presented in portfolios, sliders, and lightboxes)? Full resolution images from today’s DLSR’s can create some massive images.

When using a 4-column post grid in the Alyeska theme, are the thumbnail images hard cropped to 240×150?
    (1/4 Column of Grid – 240×150 (hard crop)

When clicking on a thumbnail from the post grid (portfolio) that has been configured to display in a lightbox, which image size (of the ones listed on the Alyeska product page) will be used. After reviewing the demo, my assumption is the lightbox images are soft cropped, but I am unsure what size is used:

Slider Full Width – 940×350 (hard crop)
    Slider Staged Left/Right – 530×312 (hard crop)
    1/5 Column of Grid – 200×125 (hard crop)
    1/4 Column of Grid – 240×150 (hard crop)
    1/3 Column of Grid – 320×200 (hard crop)
    1/2 Column of Grid – 472×295 (hard crop)
    Small Thumbnail of List – 195×195 (soft crop)
    Small Square – 130×130 (hard crop)
    Smaller Square – 70×70 (hard crop)
    Smallest Square – 45×45 (hard crop)

Thanks.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Kevin,

Is there a recommended maximum image size to upload to the media library and will be presented in portfolios, sliders, and lightboxes)?

I wouldn’t really say there’s one ideal size because different image sizes crop at different aspect ratios. I would say generally people aren’t uploading a single image for all instances.

But with the way WordPress works, it creates all sizes that it can used based on the original image you uploaded. WordPress just can’t crop up. So, in other words, if the image you upload is wider and taller than the biggest crop size available (940×350), a crop size can be generated for all registered sizes.

Full resolution images from today’s DLSR’s can create some massive images.

This doesn’t really apply when we’re displaying images on the web because they need to be compressed to these sorts of sizes you’re seeing being listed for display in the browser and practicality of the images actually downloading when the page loads. The exception would be that if you’re providing a link to a high-resolution image that maybe you’re allowing the user to download to their computer, but these raw, high-res images aren’t what you’d actually be displaying on your site, if that make sense.

When using a 4-column post grid in the Alyeska theme, are the thumbnail images hard cropped to 240×150?

Yes this is correct, but you can change this size with this plugin: http://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-blvd-image-sizes/

When clicking on a thumbnail from the post grid (portfolio) that has been configured to display in a lightbox, which image size (of the ones listed on the Alyeska product page) will be used.

It just links to the raw, un-cropped image you uploaded. This is another reason why it’s a good idea not to upload a full-resolution image, initially, but some sort of reasonable size less than 1,000px wide or tall, that can then be cropped to all the registered sizes.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.