This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Licensing question

• Creator
    Topic
    Martin
    Participant

Hi Jason,
    Jump Start is really great framework. I understand, that license allows me use it for my clients websites. But does the license allow me to use Jump Start framework also for building my own theme (not Child theme, but regular WP theme build on top of Jump Start) and then sell such theme on some marketplace (i.e. on ThemeForest)?

Regards
    Martin

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Martin,

I respectfully ask that you do not use Jump Start for this purpose.

Martin
    Participant

Hi Jason,
    I will definitely respect it!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Thank you. πŸ™‚

RoaringSkySharks
    Participant

So just clarifying, you don’t want people selling Child Themes for the framework? Wouldn’t that increase sales of the framework?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

So just clarifying, you don’t want people selling Child Themes for the framework?

I’m totally fine with that and think that would be great, but that’s not what Martin was asking. He was asking if he could literally copy the Jump Start theme and just start editing it and then selling it has is own work on a marketplace like ThemeForest.

If you want to create a Child theme for Jump Start, and sell it, someone at ThemeForest told me that they might even consider allowing people to post them in the “Frameworks” category. Not totally sure on that yet, though.

RoaringSkySharks
    Participant

I’m so pleased you said that, because I was hoping to get my start on ThemeForest with some child themes πŸ˜‰ … once I get my head around JumpStart.

odyn
    Participant

Actually I’ve been thinking – and there’s a problem. You have made child themes GPL, which legally means, all derivates should also be GPLed (open source, available somewhere for download, …)

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Jump Start itself is GPL, and so is Genesis, WooThemes themes, Theme Foundry themes, the PHP parts of ThemeForest themes, many popular WordPress themes for sale. What is your issue exactly? Or what are you not understanding?

odyn
    Participant

I was just wondering how you’ll be able to continue raising money for development and to sustain yourself if everybody can just redistribute your work for free. But I guess it’s been working so far (and for the others too), so I’ll stop smartassing here πŸ˜‰

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Haha, yeah trust me I’m not planning to get rich fromf Jump Start and that is in no way the motivation behind posting it for sale. Jump Start is one small thing that I do. My motivations for posting fit into a much bigger picture.

John
    Participant

Sounds like a sinister plot for world domination!

Eleven Sites
    Participant

Hi Jason,

I wanted to make sure I’ve got my licenses straight for my site(s). I’ve got a Jump Start beta version, which I put on my own website. Does the beta version constitute a licensed version?

I’ve also got a purchased version, which I will most likely use for another business site if I do not need to use this license for my site. Does that make sense? I’m just wanting to know if I need to buy another copy of JumpStart to make sure the site that originally had the beta version on it will be properly licensed.

Thanks,

Lindsay

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Lindsay,

All you need is one Jump Start license for all of your sites. So, if you’ve purchased it once, you’re good to go; there’s no limit on how many sites you can now use Jump Start on.

http://wpjumpstart.com/faq/

Note: This completely separate licensing for how things work with themes for sale on ThemeForest.

Eleven Sites
    Participant

Thanks Jason–super great! That note cleared things up for me!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.