This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Licensing Question

• Creator
    Topic
    val

Jason: A friend wants to use the Alyeska theme on her site, and has asked me to set it up for her. I purchased the theme for use on my site, so do I simply buy another theme at Themeforest in my name and set it up for her? I don’t want a developer’s license as I only intend to do this for a friend this one time.

If I buy the license will it be in my name or hers. And do I have to display the license info on her website? If so, where and how?

And do I download the theme again, or just use the one I already have?

Val

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Val,

Yeah, basically you’d just buy a second standard license. On your ThemeForest downloads, you’re now going to have two purchase codes representing each purchase, and in the Envato system, they’ll also have in there that you’ve purchased two standard licenses.

You don’t need to worry anything about who’s name the license is under or what account you buy it from. If you’re going to be handling the website for your friend and you want to purchase the license for her, that’s fine. No matter what ThemeForest account you purchase the theme from, you can also still register here on our forum with your “val” screenname under My Account. If you’re going to be asking questions about both websites, this is helpful here because I can see here that you have two licenses. This just makes things easier for me here in the forum, and I don’t have to question anything, be suspicious, etc.

val

Thanks Jason: I just purchased the second license a few minutes ago. The site I am using it on is http://prestoncull.com.

If the site owner gets someone else to manage the site, do I simply mail them the email license for this purchase? I am trying to retire and the owner is actively seeking someone to take over maintaining and updating the site. Should I register a new user account for the site owner that is using this theme? I would prefer they have their own login rather than logging in under my user name.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

As far as getting access to the support forum, sure, you can do that. They just need the purchase code. As far as ThemeForest is concerned, to get updates they will need access to the account that you’ve purchased. This is all separate from anything I do. You may be able to contact Envato support and get them to transfer the purchase from one account to another; I’m honestly not sure.

Bethany Siegler
    Participant

HI Jason: On a similar note, if one client has two individual sites (an author site and a separate specific book site), does she need two licenses?

Thanks

Bethany Siegler
    Participant

By the way, I am assuming she does have to by the use of the term ‚Äúsingle application” on http://themeforest.net/licenses/regular, but she asked me to find out. The new license on ThemeForest feels like it is more about developers and a bit confusing. Thanks for the clarification

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hey Bethany,

This actually just happened, but now authors on ThemeForest and CodeCanyon can choose if they want to make their WordPress products 100% GPL or not. I will be doing this for my themes.

There’s some weird quirk right now on ThemeForest that makes me upload all files over again to change the license type option they just added. Anyway, when I get that all figured out, it’ll be official.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.