This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

IE not displaying slider

• Creator
    Topic
    emaynard
    Participant

I’ve got a client who claims that other IE users cannot see anything at all, however, the only loading issue that I see in IE is the slider.

http://infiniteblisssalon.com/

I see a number of scripts that are not running using the developer tool, but I’m guessing that they’re probably just dependent on the one that is not able to fully load. Could I ask someone to look at the site and nudge me towards what might be the issue?

thanks,
    Eric

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Eric,

I would first get your client to tell you specifically what version of IE they’re viewing the site on, and confirm if they’re using IE9/10 and haven’t accidentally turned on “Compatibility mode” with that little broken page button in the website URL field — This way you can actually address their issue specifically with them, and get on the same page. After you know what they’re doing, if you are using IE10, it’s really easy to switch to any version of IE from the Developer Tools (F12) to see what they see.

However, I can confirm what you’re describing in IE9, IE10. I get the long-running script javascript error message. So, clearly there is some kind of javascript error/conflict on your site. Because all of the javascript is breaking on the page, the slider is the most notable issue when viewing your homepage.

Usually when something like this happens, it’s a matter of a conflict from a plugin you’re using. It doesn’t look like you’re using any standard plugins that stand out causing a conflict. If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with how you’re using the CloudFare plugin. Maybe start with de-activating that for troubleshooting your issue.

emaynard
    Participant

I see the demo appears to be loading jQuery 1.4.2 from a theme specific asset folder. Is there an issue with jquery 1.8.3 in WP 3.5.1 and the Flex Slider?

emaynard
    Participant

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I followed all the advice given. All plugins are currently shut down. We are both using IE 9. The only JS left loading now is WP’s and the Theme’s.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I saw your message last night and pulled up your site again in IE to try and see what’s going on. I took some time to think a lot about it, but still can’t think of any real definitive answer for you.

I see the demo appears to be loading jQuery 1.4.2 from a theme specific asset folder.

This is not the case; I’m not sure where you’re getting this from. The theme, the live demo, and your site use the default version of jQuery that WordPress includes (currently jQuery v1.8.3).

See screenshot: http://www.uploadblvd.com/uploads/image_51817f8027f08.png

Is there an issue with jquery 1.8.3 in WP 3.5.1 and the Flex Slider?

So, this definitely isn’t the case. If this this were the case, there would be many people posting about this. It’s honestly not really plausible that there is general javascript issue in the theme by default that would be as obvious as something like the slider not working in all version of IE, or trust me, I’d have people screaming at me and this would have been fixed by now.

What I’m getting at is there’s a 99% chance there is something unique about your site, although I am proved completely wrong when make statements like that 1/100 times, so who knows. 😉

So, looking at your site in the IE10 and using the developer console, it’s showing that are javascript errors happening right when jQuery is included, which seems odd to me.

My initial thought with this is: Okay, what other scripts are included before jQuery? And there are none (if you’re using IE9+).

And so this is what really stumps me. It leads to me to ask: Is there something about the HTML markup of the site that could interfere somehow with the scripts being included?

You have some sort of staging environment setup for your client, right? Where you can test updates, etc, before pushing to the live server?

I’d just get your errors reproduced in your staged environment in IE, and just essentially de-activate all plugins. If you get down to no plugins and it’s still not working, what else is unique about your site? Possibly with something in how you’ve uploaded the theme? Maybe you opened a file at some point, made edits, reverted edits back and saved? In other words, have opened and touched anything?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Wow, talk about a needle in a haystack. I think I figured out your issue, although I’m a little shaky on the exact details, as I can’t say I’ve ever run into an issue quite like this with a buyer.

It looks like somehow in your WordPress configuration, you’ve setup your charset to be “UTF-7”.

And because of this, all of the “+” characters outputted in the markup and javascript are not recognized by IE. In that screenshot I posted of the javascript errors, all of those errors in the files correspond to the first place there is a “+” sign. The charset in your site should be “UTF-8”. Does this ring any bells for you?

There used to be a setting to change this under Settings > Reading, but this option was removed in WP 3.5. So, I’m wondering how you actually changed this? Possibly with a plugin? Or before updating to WP 3.5? Or maybe you’ve done this from your site’s wp-config.php file?

emaynard
    Participant

I usually develop in xamp and then replicate the changes. I created a fresh new site last night and then installed only the Theme. Everything was fine, but it was so late I didn’t post back. Just now got your email as I was settling in for round 2. I don’t have any recollection of changing that value, but I’m going to set it back to 8 see what happens. Just for kicks I’ll probably change it in the local install as well just to confirm it breaks in the same way.

Thanks for being so persistent. I was so impressed by your follow up responses. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

UPDATE: That was it. There was an edit box still visible in Reading and I changed it from 7 to 8 and then immediately after I saved, the textbox vanished. I don’t know how it got set to 7 and I don’t care at this point as long as it is working. And thanks to your persistent sleuthing, now it is.

Your support alone is worth the 5 stars.

-Eric

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I have a feeling it’s issues like this as to why WordPress removed the option. 🙂

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21507

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.