This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

html best practices using raw

• Creator
    Topic
    cowboymike
    Participant

Hi Jason,
    I have gone live with the Alyeska theme website. I hope when you see it you think I have done Alyeska justice. 🙂
    http://www.hibiscusbythebay.com

The mls search page is borked but I hope to fix that today.

On the main page I have use content source= raw content.

When writing I have used around paragraphs. Is that required and is it what I should do to have valid html? Does it matter one way or the other?

On the blog here http://www.hibiscusbythebay.com/blog/

and individual posts I would like to have my footers with contact info like what I have on the main page. I havent been able to figure out how to do that. Is that possible?

Lastly in the simple contact widget it is coded to read “Contact Us”. I would like it to read “Get In Touch With Us!”. I have tried to find it using Chromes Inspect Element browser tool. I can figure it out.

Can you help me with where and what I need to do to make that change?

If you have any other suggestions (because I know you have so much spare time on your hands) for the site I welcome your thoughts.

Thank you for the nice theme, tough love and support. 😉
    Happy trails, Mike Foate

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

When writing I have used around paragraphs. Is that required and is it what I should do to have valid html? Does it matter one way or the other?

I’m not quite following. Why would you wrap an iframe in a paragraph <p> tag?

On the blog and individual posts I would like to have my footers with contact info like what I have on the main page. I havent been able to figure out how to do that. Is that possible?

If you want your footer columns to be present across your entire site, you’d set them up from Appearance > Theme Options > Layout > Footer.

Lastly in the simple contact widget it is coded to read “Contact Us”. I would like it to read “Get In Touch With Us!”. I have tried to find it using Chromes Inspect Element browser tool. I can figure it out.

Go to Appearance > Widgets. Find where you’ve put the widget in your widget area. Open the widget to edit its options. Edit whatever you have for the title of the widget at the top of its options.

cowboymike
    Participant

Im sorry. My post was incomplete and poorly worded..
    I hope the follwing is more clear…
    On the main page I have use content source= raw content.

That raw content container holds the sentences and paragraphs on the main page of the site.
    I meant to write when adding content to the container for raw content I wrap the sentences in paragraph tags.

Is that required and is it what I should do to have valid html?
    Does it matter one way or the other?

Thanks Jason. Sorry for incomplete poorly worded question earlier.
    Mike

cowboymike
    Participant

On the Simple Contact widget I wsnt clear either.
    The text I want to change is where it reads “Contact Us” and it is also the mailto link. I can’t find where to change that.

Sorry, Mike

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’d say the way you’re doing is correct. It’s up to you how you want to do your HTML markup, but generally that is how paragraphs of text are structured. Usually you don’t just have a block of text floating out there with nothing around it.

The text I want to change is where it reads “Contact Us” and it is also the mailto link. I can’t find where to change that.

Sorry about that. I could have probably figured out that’s what you meant. The only way outside of PHP customization would be to use this plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-blvd-string-swap/

cowboymike
    Participant

Thanks Jason. String swap did the trick.

daganray
    Participant

but generally that is how paragraphs of text are structured. Usually you don’t just have a block of text floating out there with nothing around it.

When you add the [raw] shortcode, it stops WP from outputting tags, so what you say you generally don’t want is exactly what you get in your html output.

If I manually add tags in the Text tab editor, they are removed when switching back to the Visual editor (for clients).

Indeed, I need the functionality of the [raw] tag, but also need tags inserted into my final output so I can style them, and for good seo practices.

Any thoughts on this?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This is just the way WordPress TinyMCE editor works. As far as I know, you just can’t be switching back and forth between Visual and Text tab and be able to keep custom HTML over in the Text tab upon switching. So, I’m not quite sure what you’d do in your situation. If your client is going to require the Visual editor, you may just consider avoiding putting any custom HTML that is going to be stripped in the Visual editor that you’d normally want to use in the [raw] shortcode. — A bit of a sacrifice I guess for that visual editor for your client.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.