This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

htaccess rewrite category to a page — modifying breadcrumbs for single posts

• Creator
    Topic
    magicss
    Participant

Curious if we can do some trick to make the Breadcrumbs follow a reWrite rule…

I have Posts in a Category
    I display these Posts on a Page
    And when the User clicks on one of the Posts to see the full Post, the Breadcrumb shows the Category in the Path…
    So the User can click on the Category inside the Breadcrumb, and this takes them to a Post List, but it would be way better if the Breadcrumb Link went to the Page (which has the same or a very similar name as the Category has).

I attempted an htaccess reWrite Rule, but I can not get that to work yet.
    It seems like that should work. Is there a way for that to work? Is there a better approach?
    -ss

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, that one was a bit of head-scratcher awhile back, but this is what I came up for a solution if you want to use it: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-blvd-post-to-page-link/

This plugin is a bit sloppy, but it will work. In Jump Start 1.0.1 (framework v2.2.1), I’ve totally re-structured the breadcrumbs to be much more flexible. So, this plugin will get a big update after that, and also many other cool plugins for breadcrumbs across all Theme Blvd themes will be theoretically possible. — like implementing custom post types, taxonomies, etc.

But I’m not really sure why you’d want to take the approach of re-writing anything in your .htaccess because then you’d screw up your category archive links in general, I think. What this plugin does is essentially just re-structure what links are pulled and inserted into the breadcrumb trail.

magicss
    Participant

This is a great plugin. I was using it, and now I am using framework 2.3. It appears to not do anything in 2.3. When I associate a Post to a Page using this plugin and then click on the Breadcrumb that is linked to a Page, the category page is where I end up and not at the page that was linked.
    Can we expect a future fix or am I missing something?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’ll put this on the list and get it working in the next couple days. Thanks for pointing that out.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Sorry for the delay on this. This plugin should be up-to-date now and can be used with framework 2.3+ — i.e. Jump Start 1.1+

http://wordpress.org/plugins/theme-blvd-post-to-page-link/changelog/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.