This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

How to create blog menu when posts are set for homepage

• Creator
    Topic
    schafir
    Participant

Hi Jason, we are configuring WPML and using the WPML bridge along with your instructions to create custom home pages for each language. As part of your instructions, we set the Settings–>Reading–>Your latest posts.

How can I create a menu item that links to a blog page that shows a normal blog stream (actually, I want to configure what categories show in that stream)?

also, this may be a dumb question, but if we configure a post grid on say, a French homepage” will it automatically show the posts in the grid in the appropriate language? How about if we link to a blog post in a column; when clicked will it go go the translated post or just to where the link indicates?

thanks.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Please keep in mind that I’m no expert on WPML. My only real experience is actually going through the process of creating the Theme Blvd WPML Bridge plugin, and learning in that way. So, for more specific WPML questions, you’ll want to contact their support; they do a really good job with support. But I’ll do my best to answer.

How can I create a menu item that links to a blog page that shows a normal blog stream (actually, I want to configure what categories show in that stream)?

Create a page and apply the “Post List” page template. Link to that page from your main menu. You can use the custom field “categories” to limit what categories show on the page by category slug. With WPML, you can create multiple instances of this page, including different categories on each.

Here’s a video on this: https://vimeo.com/32754998

also, this may be a dumb question, but if we configure a post grid on say, a French homepageā€ will it automatically show the posts in the grid in the appropriate language?

There are really several ways you can set these things up. WPML does a good job of modifying main queries and sort of accomplishing a lot of things like this for you in the background. This question is sort of hard to answer without knowing the specific scenario you’re setting up a post grid in and how the posts are organized.

If you’re using the Layout Builder, and you add a post grid element, there is an option to limit that grid by category, if you need to, in the specific language’s homepage layout.

But I’d just play around with it. As I said, there’s going to be several ways to accomplish what you want. I think as you start playing with these things, you’ll find a solution to how you want to set it up.

How about if we link to a blog post in a column; when clicked will it go go the translated post or just to where the link indicates?

As far as I know, any page or post you link to, WPML will automatically pull the correct language version.

… and this is where you start to have options in WPML in terms of organizing your posts that extend passed my help as far as what’s “best”. By that, I mean in terms of how you categorize your posts and how you use WPML to associate different categories with each other. So, for example French category 1 matches English category 1. And Post A has a French and English version that falls into the correct two categories.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.