This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Help Uploading Akita to Other Domain

• Creator
    Topic
    igorgoldkind

Trying to upload the Akita theme to a WordPress friendly ISP, uk2.net using softaculous. Have tried uploading the zip within the zip as per the video instructions and the zip does not open on the server. Not sure what folder I should be uploading to as sotaculous is described as the ISP’s WordPress app. Could someone give me very simple instructions on uploading the theme including which type of folder and how can I access the cms to customize the theme?

Thanks.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Can you give me more info about what is happening when you try to upload the theme? Does WordPress give you some sort of error message?

If you can’t upload the theme ZIP through your WordPress admin panel, generally it means either (1) the theme is larger than your allowed PHP upload limit on your hosting account or (2) your WordPress installation was not setup correctly and WordPress can’t write to your /wp-content/themes/ directory (i.e. a permissions issue).

Honestly, no one has ever reported the first issue specifically with Akita, and the second thing shouldn’t be an issue if you have a service installing WordPress for you. But in theory those are the only things I can think of. If you can’t get the theme ZIP to upload through your WordPress admin panel, you can always just upload it with your FTP program like in the second installation video of your docs: https://vimeo.com/16681592

I’m not completely sure about how your hosting specifically works, but this is a theme that would install like any other. Generally speaking, your themes are located at /wp-content/themes/ of your WordPress install. This is where you put the main Akita theme and your Child theme if you plan to make any code customizations. If you continue to have problems or cannot gain access to this portion of your WordPress install, you may want to contact your hosting service.

igorgoldkind

Do I have to use my WordPress admin panel to upload? I was trying to ftp using Filezilla directly to the wp content directory of my ISP. However, I’ve followed the instructions on your video, unzipped the zip within the sip file, ftped to the themes folder within WP Content on the remote server. Now what do I do? I want to access the cms so that I can upload my own assets. How do I do that?

igorgoldkind

My web hosting service does not offer support for customization and has referred me back to the theme author. I don’t really understand what the problem is here as I’ve followed the instructions on your videos to the letter nad have successfully uploaded the theme to the subdirectory wp/wp-content/themes where the unzipped contents are resting. So how do I access the cms to modify and upload my own assets. I was hoping for support on this as described that I would have access to upon purchasing your theme. Can you please advise?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Do I have to use my WordPress admin panel to upload?

No, it doesn’t matter. As with any WordPress theme, the theme folder just needs to be in your /wp-content/themes directory of your WordPress installation. Whether you upload it there with your FTP program or you let WordPress do it, it makes no difference.

I’ve followed the instructions on your videos to the letter nad have successfully uploaded the theme to the subdirectory wp/wp-content/themes where the unzipped contents are resting. So how do I access the cms to modify and upload my own assets.

Once the theme folder is in your WordPress themes directory, then you need to activate it. Go back to your WordPress admin panel, and go to Appearance > Themes, find the theme, and click “Activate”.

Then to start customizing it, go to Appearance > Theme Options

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Jason Bobich.
    igorgoldkind

Do I have to use my WordPress admin panel to upload?
    No, it doesn’t matter. The theme folder just needs to be in your /wp-content/themes directory of your WordPress installation. Whether you upload it there with your FTP program or you let WordPress do it, it makes no difference.

Ok, that’s confirmed.

I’ve followed the instructions on your videos to the letter nad have successfully uploaded the theme to the subdirectory wp/wp-content/themes where the unzipped contents are resting. So how do I access the cms to modify and upload my own assets.
    Once the theme folder is in your WordPress themes directory, then you need to activate it. Go back to your WordPress admin panel, and go to Appearance > Themes, find the theme, and click “Activate”.
    When I go back to my manage my blog entry on the WordPress site, Akita is not available to me to activate. I’ve done a search for it and comes up with 0 results for for Akira and Theme Boulevard. How do I find it to activate it?

Then to start customizing it, go to Appearance > Theme Options — This page will only appear in your WordPress admin panel AFTER you’ve activated the theme.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

When you go to Appearance > Themes, if you do not see the Akita theme there, it means you haven’t uploaded it properly.

Send me a login to your WordPress admin and login to your FTP and I will install the theme for you. How’s that? And if there truly is an issue with the theme or your server, I’ll run into it.

If you’d like me to do that, you can send the info through My Account > Submit Private Info here on the support website.

igorgoldkind

I appreciate your offer but I really don’t understand how my WordPress admin on WordPress domain relates to my ISP. I’ll look for Submit Private info.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Yeah, you’re kind of losing me, too. I don’t think I’ve ever talked with someone that was so confused about simply installing the theme. So, there must be something we’re both not on the same page about.

Is this a wordpress.COM website? Because any themes you purchase from ThemeForest are for the wordpress.ORG PHP/MySQL software that you install on your own server. I’m worried we might be talking about two completely different softwares.

igorgoldkind

No, the server I’m trying to upload to is uk2.net which supports WordPress with both PHP and a MySQL database. Are your themes only for wordpress.com sites? That would explain how you require activation off of WordPress on a remote installation. If so, then I’ve made a mistake in purchasing your theme. Have you tried the upload from your end because uk2.net support is referring me to their admin dashboard once the theme is uploaded.
    I’ve uploaded a WordPress site before but if your theme are restricted that would explain my problems.

igorgoldkind

Hello Igor,

Once you have your WordPress blog installed, you need to log in to the WordPress administration area from where you can write posts and articles, manage comments, change your theme, etc. To log in the WP admin panel, navigate to the WP login page or directly type the URL in your browser:

http://www.subversion.biz/wp-admin/ or the folder you put WordPress in.

Regards,

Trent Johnson
    Technical Support
    UK-2 Ltd

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Okay, I’ve installed the theme for you. It uploaded without any issues.

The reason the process is not the same as in the videos of my documentation is because you have installed a WordPress multisite network. I’m not sure if you did that on purpose, but what that means is in order to install any themes you have to first upload and “network activate” them from your Network admin panel in order for them to be available when editing your your individual websites.

Your Network Admin Panel: http://subversion.biz/wp/wp-admin/network/
    Your SUBVERSIONfactory Admin Panel: http://subversion.biz/wp/wp-admin/

In this case you obviously only have one website in your network currently. You may want to consider if you intended to install WordPress multisite or not and contact your web host for help installing a standard WordPress installation. That’s up to you though. It just sounds like this will only confuse you more moving forward if you don’t actually need WordPress multisite.

igorgoldkind

I appreciate that you’re going out of your way to help me here but I have no idea what the problem is and it seems to get more obscure and confusing as I proceed. I still don’t have any access to anything that permits me to administer the site. At no point during installation was I given a choice between a multisite network or a single installation; I just procceded as per instruction. Now I’m even more confused. Is your theme now activated? Because I still can’t find it within my WordPress admin; it’s simply not listed as an available theme to activate. The link to http://subversion.biz/wp/wp-admin/
    is no longer recognizing my log in details; I’ve since reset my password to INFERN000 and it’s still not recognizing it.

I need to know the status of the upload. Is it active on my ISP server or not? If so, where do I administer it from WordPress or uk2.net? If WordPress, how do I activate Akita when it doesn’t come up on the theme search?

Thanks

igorgoldkind

This is a real problem now as I’ve lost access privileges to the administration at subversion.biz/wp/admin
    Every password and user name combination I’ve used is no longer recognized including the latest I’ve reset: igorgoldkind
    INFERN000.
    How did you gain access to the admin?

How do I clear this up?
    All I need is a clear instruction on the status of the upload of the theme and then the link to the cms admin where I can configure and update the site with new assets. I need to know if that’s through my WordPress account or my ISP admin account.

Thanks in advance.

igorgoldkind

UPDATE: Please read first.

Ok, I’ve solved the mystery surrounding the unrecognized passwords: to log into the admin page you are a prompted by a Word Press branded page asking for a user name and a password. I assumed because it was a Word Press page, it was asking for my WordPress user name and password; unfortunately that is not the case. Instead it was prompting for my ISP access user name and password, which I tried through a process of frustrated elimination. Not exactly very clear or user friendly. I’m in to admin now and should be able to update the site myself now. I assume one I’ve made the changes that I can take the site live through the admin?

Thanks for your help and your patience.

Igor

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.