This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

H1 tag – SEO

• Creator
    Topic
    seovunaples
    Participant

Jason,

I am trying to rank a site that uses your Alyeska WP template and I need some recommendations. (I already installed the Yoast SEO plugin.)

1. What do you recommend regarding SEO, especially if I use the layout builder.

2. Should I add my own H1- tag to a post or page or is the H1 automatically generated from the page title?

Thanks!
    Kathrin

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Kathrin,

I already installed the Yoast SEO plugin.

Good move; this is a great plugin.

1. What do you recommend regarding SEO, especially if I use the layout builder.

Apologies, but I’m not all that sure what you’re asking exactly. Do you have some sort of specific SEO question about using the Layout Builder? Or is there something that concerns you?

2. Should I add my own H1- tag to a post or page or is the H1 automatically generated from the page title?

Pages do use <h1> tags for the title yes. If you’d like control over these elements, you should check out the various template parts, which are all the content-*.php files of the theme. Simply copy any of these to your child theme to edit them.

Tutorial: http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/editable-content-files/

For example, content-page.php controls just just markup of the content area of the page. You can see exactly how it is structured. It’s also a good idea to learn how to use an inspector like Chrome’s developer inspector see exactly what HTML markup is used in your site.

seovunaples
    Participant

I use Safari’s -> Develop -> Show page source and when I remove my own H1 tag, it does not show me another H1. That’s why I bring up this question.

So, to avoid duplications of H1 tags, I should not use my own H1. Instead I should use an optimized Page title, right?

Thanks!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

So you mean to say that you’re using h1 tags within a standard page’s content? Yeah, you wouldn’t want to do that, as the title of the page would be your main header, which the theme already places in an h1.

However, this isn’t the case in a custom layout of the Builder. In this case, you’d want to add your h1 title there, in your custom layout.

seovunaples
    Participant

Thank you for your response! I am still not sure about the layout builder.

1. Should I add a tag (and then it generates the h1) or should I add an tag?

———

And another question is when I use the layout builder.

2. After the page is built in the layout builder I noticed that there is no html code in the homepage. Can the search engine read the builder elements or do I have to duplicate the content and place it on the homepage?

———

And the last question is (in the page option section) under Page Title there are 2 options. One to show page title and to hide it.

3. If I hide the page title, will the H1 tag automatically placed in the html markup, so the search engine can read it?

Thanks!
    Kathrin

seovunaples
    Participant

Thank you for your response! I am still not sure about the layout builder.

1. Should I add a title tag (and then it generates the h1) or should I add an H1 tag?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

1. Should I add a tag (and then it generates the h1) or should I add an tag?

If you’re using the layout builder, there will never be an h1 tag, unless you add it. So, yes you would need to add it. For example, you could use the “Headline” element in your custom layout.

2. After the page is built in the layout builder I noticed that there is no html code in the homepage. Can the search engine read the builder elements or do I have to duplicate the content and place it on the homepage?

Don’t worry, this is actually completely irrelevant. The “Page” is just a means for WordPress to construct all of the HTML markup to send back to the browser. The search engine only see what’s at the client browser.

So, whatever WordPress is doing or however is WordPress is putting the pieces together over at your server doesn’t effect anything in this regard. The search engine is just scanning the HTML markup on the static page returned to the browser (i.e. the final webpage).

3. If I hide the page title, will the H1 tag automatically placed in the html markup, so the search engine can read it?

This is what I was sort of getting at before. When you apply a custom layout to the page, this option becomes irrelevant. I think it actually mentions that in the description for the option, if I remember right.

So again, if you’re using a custom layout you will need to add in an h1 tag somehow.

Make more sense now?

mhp
    Participant

Hi Jason.. I too just added WP SEO by Yoast. This post exactly covers my issues/concerns. All page titles are tagged automatically tagged H1 in the templates, is that correct? And on blank pages where the content is actually in the Builder Layout, I can ignore the WP SEO alerts/suggestions like:
    There are 1 words contained in the body copy. This is far too low and should be increased.
    The keyword doesn’t appear in the first paragraph of the copy, make sure the topic is clear immediately.
    No images appear in this page, consider adding some as appropriate.
    No outbound links appear in this page, consider adding some as appropriate.
    The keyword / phrase does not appear in the URL for this page. If you decide to rename the URL be sure to check the old URL 301 redirects to the new one!
    The page title contains keyword / phrase, but it does not appear at the beginning; try and move it to the beginning.
    No subheading tags (like an H2) appear in the copy.

Is that correct? Thanks, Mike

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All page titles are tagged automatically tagged H1 in the templates, is that correct?

Yup, just view the source of any page on your site.

And on blank pages where the content is actually in the Builder Layout, I can ignore the WP SEO alerts/suggestions like:
    […]

I would say this is your call. If these things are important to you, then incorporate them. This is all just HTML-related elements you can put in your Layout’s content.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.