This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Full-size Pictures Not Displaying Properly in Slider

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Can you please provide a live link to the slider in question? I’m sure there’s a simple explanation, but I need to see what’s on your site.

Also note that none of the links to your screenshots are coming up.

tpierpoint
    Participant

Thanks, Jason. Not sure why the links aren’t working. Those are the short links tiny url gave me.

The link to the site is http://oilhillsurfacepainting.com/. The problem is with the 3rd image in the right slider.

Thanks,
    Todd

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Did you upload the first two images (that you don’t have the issue with) to your server before you installed the theme? And then the third image after installing the theme?

Also, when uploading picture, Iā€™m not getting the option to select the upload size anymore

Also note that the slider has never had any kind of feature that would allow you to select an image size. And if you thought you were selecting an upload size for the slider, you weren’t šŸ˜‰

tpierpoint
    Participant

I don’t remember. LOL. I do know that the first two pictures added were put into a Slider element in Builder, then I created a two-column element and put the sliders into the two columns.

Also, the thumbnail for the 3rd image is cropped, whereas the other images it isn’t in the Media Library view. I may have uploaded the first two before applying the theme.

Another odd thing is that when I upload a picture now, the options to select the image size quickly display then go away.

Thanks,
    Todd

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All right no worries; I think that has to be the case. Ok, so everything you’re seeing is the expected behavior based on my previous assumption.

The theme uses a certain WordPress registered crop size (940Ɨ350) for the slider. Every time you upload an image WordPress makes all of the images it can for all of the registered crop sizes. If a crop size is larger than a given image, it doesn’t get made for that image. When displaying that image, it defaults to the original.

In other words, ironically, the third image you’re having the problem with is the only working properly as it should. So really what you’re getting in your slider is not ideal. You are loading these gigantic un-cropped images that are getting scaled down responsively by the web browser to fit in those small areas.

There is a trick you can do here. As I said, WordPress will not make the crop size for images that are smaller than it. So, a workaround here is to edit the images you want to use to be the size you want (i.e. smaller than 940Ɨ350) before uploading them. Now, the theme won’t be able to pull any 940Ɨ350 images because they don’t exist, and it will default to pulling the raw images you uploaded. — This essentially puts the control of the image sizes used in your hands as longs as they’re smaller than 940Ɨ350.

Another odd thing is that when I upload a picture now, the options to select the image size quickly display then go away.

Yes, this is because this option is irrelevant with the slider and always has been. And so now, we hide this from you to avoid confusion. However hiding it with javascript is the only way WP allows us to get in there. That’s why you see it for a split second until you move your mouse in there and/or everything is loading.

tpierpoint
    Participant

Hi, Jason.

I re-sized the pictures to 798 x 600 and the pictures in the slider are still being displayed proportionately to 940 x 350. Are you saying that the width must be < 940 AND the height must be < 350 for this to work? Should I be using a generic gallery for displaying these images since it appears that the slider is made to work with panoramic pictures?

Check it out – http://www.oilhillsurfacepainting.com/

Thanks,
    Todd

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The images you upload would need to be both less than 350 in height and 940 in width.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.