This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Full screen background image?

• Creator
    Topic
    mharpen
    Participant

I see the Background settings under Appearance, but it only allows a tiled image. I tried installing one of the popular plugins (Background Manager) to try to do a full-screen image background, rather than tiled. And when the site displays, I can see the background image briefly before Alyeska resets it. Is there any full-screen background image plugin that will work with Alyeska? Or is there a way to turn off the background in Alyeska? Some of the background image plugins have some nifty options, like setting opacity, different backgrounds on different pages, etc. So it would be nice if there was a way to use them with this theme. Thanks J!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

First off, if you’re using Appearance > Background, you don’t have to have your background image tiled. WordPress has a setting there you can choose on how to repeat the background image. You can choose to have it not repeat and be centered.

And if you were going to use a plugin that doesn’t properly add a background into the WordPress system, you’d have to hide the theme’s background on the #wrapper div manually with CSS Edits.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

#wrapper { background-image:none; }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

mharpen
    Participant

Please forgive me J. I must be tired. I didn’t see the tiling options because I hadn’t specified a photo in the Custom Background settings yet. I see that the Tiling options appear “after” you specify and upload a background image. So sorry. But thanks for the css I can use with a plugin if needed.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by mharpen.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.