This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Footer color clear?

• Creator
    Topic
    alaskakid

Jason, please assist. Isn’t the footer color supposed to look “slate grey” when I choose “slate grey as the primary color? Mine display as “clear” (no color). Where can I make a change so the footer background color is slate grey, same color as the navigation buttons on top. Thank you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

The primary color actually doesn’t have anything to do with that. It’s just a transparent image that is overlaid and shows through to whatever you’ve setup for the background color. And the transparent image is a light grey or a black; this depends on if you’ve selected a dark or a light color for your background color.

To put a custom color here would be a CSS customization you’d need to make to the theme.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

/* If you selected a dark background color */
    .body_text_light #footer_sub_content { ... }

/* If you selected a light background color */
    .body_text_dark #footer_sub_content { ... }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

alaskakid

Hm, that’s a cool tool (Firebug), but I am unable to select the footer part above the very-bottom-footer that includes the copyright and designed by line. See http://trg.wpengine.com/ I am trying to make the footer that includes three columns a dark background. Within Firebug, I can not “grab” that part apparently. Hm?! I understand to make custom changes in the child theme.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

You’ll need to learn a little bit about how CSS works if you want to be making your own customizations tot he design of the theme outside of the theme’s options.

In this case, the footer area you’re targeting doesn’t have any background color currently, as it shows through to the body’s background, right? So, there’s obviously not going to be any line of CSS your inspector is going to show you from the theme that sets a background there. Under the “Elements” tab of your Inspetor, you’d just take any HTML element you see wrapping the area you want to target, and use its class or ID as a selector to write your custom line of CSS.

Example: .whatever { background: #000; }

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.