This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Featured image link

• Creator
    Topic
    marse
    Participant

I seem to have lost my featured image link. I updated WP so maybe that’s it. But it’s gone and I have no way to add a feature image to a post.
    Help!
    Mark

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    marse
    Participant

In addition, when you click on READ MORE in the post, it brings up a blank page.
    http://www.songandheart.com/

marse
    Participant

I Googled a solution and tried it. It works. Why it was okay before and isn’t now until I add this statement I don’t know. Maybe Jason can illuminate the issue.

Anyway, this issue can be fixed by adding this statement: add_theme_support( ‘post-thumbnails’ ); to the THEME’S function.php

Add to a blank space that isn’t in the middle of other programming. Like this (see last section) –

<?php
    /*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
    /* Theme Configuration
    /*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

// Constants
    define( 'TB_FRAMEWORK_VERSION', '2.0.5' );
    define( 'TB_FRAMEWORK_URL', TEMPLATEPATH.'/framework' );
    define( 'TB_FRAMEWORK_DIRECTORY', get_template_directory_uri().'/framework' );
    define( 'TB_GETTEXT_DOMAIN', 'themeblvd' );

/**
     * Alyeska Setup 
     * You can override this function from a child 
     * theme if any basic setup things need to be changed.
     */

//added for missing featured image issue
    add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );

Good luck,
    Mark

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The theme framework already adds this:

add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );

I’ve never had anyone post and say there is no featured image support for any of the themes on this framework. You are the first. The only thing close to that I’ve had is where people accidentally have hidden their featured image selection from the Screen Options tab when editing a post.

It’s probably worth mentioning that you should are using a pretty old version of the theme. I would really consider updating. This would probably be a good starting point for you. You’re using 2.0.1 and we’re on 2.1.5 now, a lot has been improved.

http://themeblvd.com/changelog/?theme=alyeska

But editing the theme’s functions.php, and adding theme support a second time shouldn’t be the answer.

In addition, when you click on READ MORE in the post, it brings up a blank page.

An issue like this wouldn’t have anything to do with the theme. I have a feeling this is because of how you’ve setup your permalink settings. So, I’d start troubleshooting at Settings > Permalinks.

marse
    Participant

Jason,
    Thanks for the update. Updating the theme was my first idea but when I went to Theme Forest and looked, there was no update listed and I’ve never been emailed an update notification. I did click on the link for the download and it tried to download the same version I had. Any suggestions as to where I’d get an update?

And yes, I agree that this shouldn’t have been a problem since it worked perfectly before but it was. Adding that line to the theme’s functions.php fixed the issue immediately for whatever reason. I did think about the permalink issue also and resaved them before I added that line – no effect.

This all happened after a WP update. No idea why.

You know I love your work so I’ll keep punching at it.

Mark

marse
    Participant

P.S. RE: your response – there was no FEATURED IMAGE checkbox when this happened. I did check Google before posting and tried to solve the problem without hacking anything.

marse
    Participant

If you allowed an upload to these posts I’d upload the original theme’s functions.php file so you can see it wasn’t in there. The only place it exists is where I added it. Just FYI.

RE: Permalinks – I can’t save anything but the default permalinks selections. My custom type (%postname%) isn’t being accepted.

Obviously, things are broken. Updating the theme is what I’d love to do – just need to know where to find the update.

Best,
    Mark

marse
    Participant

RE: update – nevermind. I figured it out. I just wasn’t thinking it through.

Mark

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Any suggestions as to where I’d get an update?

Go to ThemeForest.net > My Account > Downloads, and simply download the theme again. This will be the latest version. Possibly double check how you’re handling files after you download them, maybe getting them confused with others on your computer? It is not possible for you to be downloading the version you had before. These files literally do not exist on Envato servers any more.

Updating the theme was my first idea but when I went to Theme Forest and looked, there was no update listed and I’ve never been emailed an update notification.

I list all updates by date at the bottom of the ThemeForest Item Details page for the product. Also, starting in Alyeska 2.1, there’s a changelog link at the bottom of the Theme Options page. And all updates are posted on Twitter, as well.

And ThemeForest.net has a way for you to be notified of updates by email. You need to check the notifications box next to the item you’ve purchased under ThemeForest.net > My Account > Downloads. If you’re having trouble with this feature, you’d need to contact Envato support.

If you allowed an upload to these posts I’d upload the original theme’s functions.php file so you can see it wasn’t in there. The only place it exists is where I added it. Just FYI.

Yup, it’s not called in functions.php. It’s in themeblvd_add_theme_support in /framework/themeblvd.php (in v2.0.1, anyway).

Out of curiosity, I just tested v2.0.1 that you’re using on a WP 3.5.2, and featured images are all working fine on my end and I can select them when editing posts.

RE: Permalinks – I can’t save anything but the default permalinks selections. My custom type (%postname%) isn’t being accepted.

Remember that these links not coming up, and your permalink issue, aren’t going to have anything to do with the theme. So, updating the theme will most likely not resolve that issue. You’ll need to explore further into what’s going with your WP setup. If you still can’t figure this out, you may want to post on the wordpress.org forums for a wider range of voices.

marse
    Participant

Again, thanks for all the help.

I fixed the issue using the scheme I mentioned whether it should have been done that way or not so I’m good. I keep exacting track of changes in a local folder so if I have issues in the future I can reference them. I will update the theme also.

RE: permalinks – shrug. Who knows? Will keep working on it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

What I noticed on your posts, is that it appears you have them all setup like pages:

http://yoursite.com/post-slug/

I’m pretty sure that this schema will not work, and that’s why I suspected you were having this issue. I think as a test to troubleshoot, if you were to set permalinks to “default” (i.e. turn them OFF), you’ll see that all of your posts come up properly, showing that the issue is something to do with your permalink settings.

So, in other words, in troubleshooting, your URL’s will be formatted like this with permalinks off:

http://yoursite.com/?p=123
    marse
    Participant

Jason,

You’re right – using the default works but I don’t want a URL like ?p=123 – but I’ll leave it for now and gain some wisdom via the ‘Net about permalinks and mod_rewrite, etc. What I really don’t understand is why it worked then didn’t but I’ve been doing this too long to not understand that core updates, hosting measures, etc. interfere with a lot of stuff web designers do. I can’t imagine what it must be like to be theme designer and have to deal with all that.

As always – thanks!
    Mark

P.S. This is a nice forum – your design? I knew you were going to have to do something like this soon. Too many people love your stuff to keep it running at Theme Forest.
    Continued good luck.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

P.S. This is a nice forum – your design? I knew you were going to have to do something like this soon. Too many people love your stuff to keep it running at Theme Forest.
    Continued good luck.

Thanks. Yeah, part of my branch to expanding to something off of ThemeForest is releasing Jump Start, which hopefully in the future I can expand by offering Child themes that are essentially similar to what I’m selling on ThemeForest.

This support website is actually a Jump Start child theme where I’ve styled the bbPress forum plugin basically.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.