This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Fatal error after upgrade

• Creator
    Topic
    fcampagna
    Participant

I am getting this message after an upgrade. What can I do to fix it?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /home/louleta/public_html/2012/wp-admin/includes/template.php on line 190

I saw search results in threads for other themes that surely have the solution, but I can’t see the forum answers because I did not buy those themes.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    fcampagna
    Participant

I got that figured out, but now my site has all the default swagger options. What happened???

fcampagna
    Participant

My frustration level is an 11 out of 10 right now. I managed to get something that looked like the correct site by activating the parent Swagger theme. Now, the problem is the widgets are all screwed up, the social media stuff is missing, and who knows what else is wrong. What is going on with this theme? Why all the difficulties when upgrading?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am getting this message after an upgrade. What can I do to fix it?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in /home/louleta/public_html/2012/wp-admin/includes/template.php on line 190

What this means is that with your hosting, the theme in combination with WordPress and whatever plugins you’re running is eating up more than your allowed PHP memory on the page load. WordPress actually has a setting that controls this.

In the future, whenever you get an error message in your WordPress site, here is how you can increase the memory allotted to WordPress:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

Basically, you just need to get to the wp-config.php file of your WordPress configuration and define the WP_MEMORY_LIMIT constant. Currently you have the default 40mb allotted (i.e. 41943040 bytes). So, you could increase it by just pasting this anywhere in there (for example):

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M' );

I got that figured out, but now my site has all the default swagger options. What happened???

Our framework saves all theme options based on the Name of the current theme. It takes the theme Name, and then removes all spaces and special characters to create an ID. For example the theme by default is named “Swagger” and so the theme options are saved to your wp_option table of your database with the ID “swagger”. If you change the Name of the theme in style.css or you install a child theme (which would now be a new theme with a new name), then you’re not going to be pulling from your previously saved options any more.

A common issue people run into this with is installing a child theme. They configure their options and then later they learn about what a child theme is and go to install it. So, here’s an article that discusses this in greater details, using the context of that example of installing a child theme:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/saving-theme-options-and-switching-themes/

Now, the problem is the widgets are all screwed up, the social media stuff is missing, and who knows what else is wrong. What is going on with this theme? Why all the difficulties when upgrading?

The PHP memory error is what it is. There’s really no way to predict that’s going to happen with everyone using different servers, and different combinations of things running on their site.

However, the issue with the theme options, widgets getting messed up, etc, should not be happening by simply updating the theme. This tells me that something is maybe off about the process you’re doing when you’re making the update. These things you’re describing would be symptoms of “installing a new theme” — i.e. maybe you’re changing the theme name, activating or deactivating, etc, which aren’t things that should be happening when updating the theme.

Note: WordPress has a weird quirk that when you switch themes, it will switch widgets around or remove them. Often, you can find these in the “Inactive Widgets” section under Appearance > Widgets with their settings still in tact. Then you can drag them back to where they need to be.

Now I understand everyone is not a server person, not everyone is comfortable updating theme files through FTP, and there is a learning curve. This is why we’ve worked really hard with Envato to get the in-dashboard update system working with our themes where it pulls from Envato servers. You can use this feature with Alyeska 3+ when making updates. I’m hoping this will eliminate some of the things like this people run into when they’re still learning how to update the files manually.

Here’s how you can set this up for future updates:

http://support.themeblvd.com/docs/theme-updates/#themeforest (see automatic updates)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Swagger Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.