This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Excluding portfolio posts from RSS feed

• Creator
    Topic
    dandares
    Participant

Hi

Is there a way to exclude portfolio posts items from the RSS feed? Obviously I want my blog posts to go out to the feed but not my portfolio post items…

many thanks

Dan

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Dan,

The theme really doesn’t have anything to do with your RSS feeds. By default in WordPress, I don’t know that there’s really anything you can do except possibly use the feed link to a specific category like:

http://www.yoursite.com/category/category-name/feed/

… So for example, if you grouped all of your categories into a parent category called “blog” you could use that as your RSS feed URL.

http://www.yoursite.com/category/blog/feed/

Also if you search over on wordpress.org, you can probably find some other plugins you can try out that’ll do cool things with feeds.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

dandares
    Participant

Hi

“The theme really doesn’t have anything to do with your RSS feeds.” – I’m not entirely sure I buy that. Other themes I have used have structured their portfolio items so they are not posts so don’t output to the feed.

You have chosen to use use posts to facilitate portfolio items but apparently this has nothing to do with the theme?

In the theme options you allow me to exclude certain categories from my blog which is great, but you don’t allow me to exclude these from the feed which I would obviously want to do…

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The theme gives two different ways to display your posts on your site; that is with grids and in lists. How you want to structure your site and what you want to call different groupings of posts is all up to you. — Obviously this has to do with the theme, however I don’t believe any theme should ever be messing with someone’s RSS feed. Who knows what the user wants to do with their RSS feed and or what plugins they want to use.

In the theme options you allow me to exclude certain categories from my blog which is great, but you don’t allow me to exclude these from the feed which I would obviously want to do…

And the reason for this is that theme has nothing to do with your RSS Feed — meaning no theme’s code should be directly effecting WordPress’s RSS feed system. I’m not quite sure where your hostility is coming from. If you want to customize your RSS feed, just look for a plugin. There are many of them.

dandares
    Participant

Hi Jason

Sorry – still not entirely satisfied with your response i’m afraid.

“what you want to call different groupings of posts is all up to you”

– but it’s not really up to me is it.

– Quoting from your documentation:

“what you may consider a “portfolio” we’re calling a post grid.”

So following your documentation i’m using a post grid for my portfolio. All i’m saying is it would be nice to have an option not to output certain categories – in my case “Portfolio” to the RSS feed. Clearly this is technically possible as I am currently using a plugin to do this as the option isn’t available to me in your theme.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.