This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

entry-title

• Creator
    Topic
    sharonq
    Participant

Jason:

the CSS class “entry-title” is used both in the header of the page and for the tile within a post grid. If I change the CSS it impacts both.

How can I change the background and font color for my page/post tile but not for the post grid title. Sorry about the multiple questions – these are all things I’ve been working on and am stumped. I was using h1 for the page title and h2 for the page grid title but there must be a better way.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

With your inspector, have a look at the HTML markup that surrounds the post grid and then the post list. What classes do you see on the surrounding HTML of a post list and a post grid that are different? What could you using to target the “entry-title” class in the two unique situations?

sharonq
    Participant

That took a while:

I ended up using

.entry-header .entry-title

So – this would mean that the css only applies when the object has *both* classes – was that correct?

Initially I was using .entry-title h1 which worked on the font but not the background – and then it got messed up with the link/no link titles (which are gone), then I tried using #header and .header with .entry-title and .entry-header and finally put the two together.

CSS is a tricky beast – when you understand it it seems so easy -but there are so many options it’s easy to get lost.

My CSS file is getting bigger and bigger as I add customizations. I comment a lot to try to keep it all sorted out.

Thanks for all the tips – I am doing as much as I can on my own but still get stumped once in a while.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

.entry-header .entry-title

So – this would mean that the css only applies when the object has *both* classes – was that correct?

What it means that the element with class “entry-title” would need to be inside another element with class “entry-header” like this:

<div class="entry-header">
          <div class="entry-title">
          </div>
    </div>

If you wrote it like this: .entry-header.entry-title (notice NO space between the selectors)

… Then it means the element you’re targeting has both classes, like this for example:

<div class="entry-header entry-title">
    </div>
    sharonq
    Participant

Thanks Jason – that helps a lot – and explains why combining the two did not work the first time I tried – I reversed the order…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.