This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

editing slider size

• Creator
    Topic
    webqueen

Hello,

I have been searching how to edit the size of the slider to be smaller (height and width) and located on the right or left side of the homepage?

Also, is there a place that explains the different sizes that are listed on the drop down menu on the “Media Display” for the sliders ? I have tried several choices but they adjust to a smaller size but there is large white frame to the right of the image after I make a choice. Is that normal?

Thank you for your help!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Assuming we’re just talking about full width images in the slider, the size of it simply going to be the size of the image you pick scaled down responsively to fit in whatever container you put it in.

I have been searching how to edit the size of the slider to be smaller (height and width) and located on the right or left side of the homepage?

So, you’d just need to setup an area for you to place a slider. For example, in your custom layout you could possibly use a “Columns” element, and then in one of the columns, place the slider you create with the slider shortcode.

[slider id="your-slider"]

If the image crop size you’ve selected in the slider is larger than the column you’ve now placed your slider, it’s going to scale automatically, proportionally to fit into this area.

Also, is there a place that explains the different sizes that are listed on the drop down menu on the “Media Display” for the sliders ?

These are just all registered crop sizes in your WordPress site. It’s listing everything the theme adds and plugins you may be using might have added. It just gives you more freedom in what you can select.

Selecting the slide default size 950×350 (I believe) will give you the size everything is sort of designed around. This is a “it will work in most situations” selection. Then from there, that size will scale down depending on where you place the slider. However, some people don’t like this and they want the freedom to select a smaller image, as well, so they’re not loading an unnecessarily large image; so this is why the smaller crop size is nice to be able to select.

I have tried several choices but they adjust to a smaller size but there is large white frame to the right of the image after I make a choice. Is that normal?

Yes, this is normal because the slider is always going to fill whatever container you place it in. So if the area you’re putting on your website is 960 px wide, and you’re selecting a 300 px wide crop sizes, this isn’t going to fill the space, and thus won’t look right. So, you need to kind of be aware of (a) what crop size you’re choosing for the slider and (b) how that’s going to fit with where you’re placing your slider.

Does that make more sense? If it doesn’t, you can link me to a specific example of something you’re trying to setup, and we can discuss it further.

webqueen

Thank you!

I have one more question. I was able to use the double sidebars but now the page is white and my background around is grey. How can I blend the home page or make just that one page grey?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The content area has that white box around it, and so it looks a little odd to have that snuggly around the slideshow which also has a white border. A trick you can do there is use the “Columns” element instead. Add a “Columns” element and select it to have one column. Then put your slider in there and delete the “Content” element. The result will essentially be the same except for the Columns element is not styled to have white around it.

webqueen

Thanks! I did that and it worked like a charm. 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.