This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Do I need child theme?

• Creator
    Topic
    slreagan
    Participant

I may have screwed up…am just now realizing about the child theme for akita…I did NOT install it and am using the parent theme. Have not made any changes to CSS, PHP, whatever (I don’t even know how to). BUT I have done a lot of work in getting my website set up. If I install the child theme now am I going to wipe out everything I’ve done including sliders, custom pages (builder), etc?

Oh boy, please tell me I haven’t…

I understand the concept of child themes and how important it is for future updates – that’s why I’m asking.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Basically, if you’re making any of your own code customizations, you want to be using a Child theme. If you’re looking to move to a Child theme, there’s no harm in that. You won’t lose anything. Just check out this article and make sure to be aware of the three things outlined:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/switching-to-a-child-theme-after-youve-already-started-building-your-website/

slreagan
    Participant

Hi Jason – sorry this has taken so long but am ready to try this. I’ve never messed w/php files before…but I can certainly copy & paste. But please tell me WHERE to paste the code snipit in step #3 in the link you gave me – I would think it matters exactly where??
    thanks,
    sarah

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Well welcome to the world of WordPress theme customization, Sarah. Glad to have you. 😉

Technically, as long as it goes after the opening <?php at the top of the file, that’s all that needs to happen. For organization and clarity I would keep it after the framework runs. So, just put it at the bottom of your Child theme’s functions.php. I think there’s some kind of stupid comment in there that says something like // Start the party ... — Just place it just after that.

Make sense?

slreagan
    Participant

Whew! I did it. The php didn’t give me any problem at all…what did cause me a bit of an issue was that all my widgets were shoved down one level – not placed in Inactive, just moved down. For instance the Footer #1 widgets were placed in Footer #2, the Right Sidebar widgets were shoved down into Ads Above Content…etc. That gave me the biggest problem until I figured out what was going on. Don’t know if it had to do with the fact I’d already set up Widget Areas & had used the Builder or not, but though you might want to know that, maybe mention it on the “scary list”! Looks like things are back to where they were…now if I can just get this website-from-youknowwhere finished! 🙂

Thanks for your help on this!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

what did cause me a bit of an issue was that all my widgets were shoved down one level – not placed in Inactive, just moved down.

This is what part 2 of the article I linked you to is referring to, where widgets get shifted into the incorrect widget areas, for whatever fluky WordPress reason.

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/switching-to-a-child-theme-after-youve-already-started-building-your-website/

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.