This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Difference between 3 style sheets

• Creator
    Topic
    viper
    Participant

There are at least 3 stylesheets here, and I’m not sure what controls what:

In the main theme folder there is style.css.

In assets/css there is theme.css and theme.min.css.

What is the difference between them?

If I want to make a change to theme.css, do I change that one or theme.min.css? It’s the same information only without formatting. Thank you.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    viper
    Participant

In the theme.css:
    * Theme Styles. This file includes all of the styles you might normally
    * find in style.css. However, they’re here instead so the
    * theme’s styles can be properly enqueued after all of the
    * framework’s styles.
    * Because of this, it’s important that if you’re making CSS
    * edits in a child theme, you need to enqueue your own custom
    * stylesheet after all of the framework’s and the theme’s
    * stylesheets. Simply putting your edits in child theme’s
    * style.css will not override the the default styles you see
    * here because your child theme’s style.css will come before.
    */

Ok, so how do you “enqueue your own custom stylesheet after all the framework’s and the theme’s stylesheets.”

I thought adding your own styles and editing the child theme was supposed to be pretty straightforward. Thanks.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

In any WordPress theme, style.css is what is needed to actually register the theme with WordPress, and generally in more simple themes, you’ll find all of the styles within this file.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development#Theme_Stylesheet

In this theme, what you might find in a normal style.css in terms of the actual main CSS of the theme, is located in theme.css. This file is then minified into theme.min.css and is what is actually used to improve performance on your site.

However, all of your CSS customizations should go in your Child theme’s custom.css file. There’s no reason to ever edit any files of the Parent theme directly. You can override everything from your Child theme.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Ok, so how do you “enqueue your own custom stylesheet after all the framework’s and the theme’s stylesheets.”

I thought adding your own styles and editing the child theme was supposed to be pretty straightforward. Thanks.

Watch this video: https://vimeo.com/41331677 — There’s a child theme already included with your theme package from ThemeForest that sets all this up for you. This video will walk you through it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.