This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Custom Widget Area

• Creator
    Topic
    gnuandyou

I’m having an issues with custom widgets. Is there anyways to assign which widget area I want in the template? for example if I create a widget area called “connect” can I just drop that into the template like this?

<?php themeblvd_sidebars( ‘connect’); ?>

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    gnuandyou

yea looks like you can’t…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by gnuandyou.
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

That’s not quite how the themeblvd_sidebars function is supposed to be used. It’s simply a hook to be used with sidebar-left.php and sidebar-right.php. The parameter it accepts is whether it’s on the left or right, not a specific widget area to display.

Can you be a little more specific about what you’re trying to do and I can point you in the right direction?

If you’re trying to assign custom widget areas to custom layouts or items in your WP admin, you can do that. And if you’re trying to display custom widget areas or locations programmatically, the framework has various functionality you can tap into there, as well.

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial_category/chapter-08/

If you’re simply wanting to display the widgets of a widget area you created, you’d just use the WordPress default dynamic_sidebar function. The theme framework registers your widget areas with WordPress through whatever you designate when setting it up.

dynamic_sidebar( 'connect' );

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/dynamic_sidebar

gnuandyou

You can tell its been a long day when you look back at a post ask yourself what you were thinking…

Thanks for in the insight though, I was trying to over-ride the themeblvd sidebar hook and just have it pull in the same custom sidebar on all my templates so that even someone messed with the settings it wouldn’t matter.

However it turns out one of my plugin’s was causing the problem.

side note: I use post-content IDs when I build anything in tabs or toggles so the content is easier to manage. Rather than have someone look at a page of code and try and pick out the [start] and [/end] shortcodes they would just have to goto the post ID and edit it there. So this is where the problem started… because in wordpress every post is published to your RSS feed (which is seems silly imo, but enough of that I’m off my soap box) I use a plugin called “Simply Exclude” which on paper sounds great. However it causes a mess with the blog roll and just about everything else!

Long story… I fixed it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.