This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Custom Template inside standard page layout.

• Creator
    Topic
    Jarrod Davis
    Participant

Why can’t I do this? I’m finding it difficult to make a custom layout, say a staff page, look like the rest of the site. For example if you add a breadcrumb, the margins are way bigger than standard layout so it’s pushed over to the right too much. I just want to make my custom template, again like a staff page and have it display in the default page template with my default sidebars etc. Possible?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi Jarrod,

No, what you’re asking exactly isn’t possible. A custom layout is not bound by the constraints of the sidebar layout structure of standard pages, and that is what allows you to build such diverse landing pages.

But from building the layout you can get something pretty close to what a default page looks like by using a columns element. You can add a widget area element in one column, and in the other column you can use the “Apply content background” option within elements’ display options, or apply a white background to the entire column. As far as breadcrumbs, maybe some CSS tweaks to get it to look exactly how you want? — But no, not it’s not going to be a perfect match.

Now, if you’re looking to just create a standard page with some extra stuff in it for your staff page, is it possible that maybe using the layout builder isn’t the best method here? Maybe just creating a standard page and utilizing shortcodes from our shortcodes plugins would be a better approach.

Jarrod Davis
    Participant

Ok I see.

I thought about just using shortcodes. Are there ones for staff. I’m not seeing it?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I guess the element you’d be referring to of the layout builder would be Team Member element, and no I guess there isn’t a shortcode for that unfortunately (I just double checked, I think it was added because the social icons or the person would be too hard to add through shortcode). Another way you could do something pretty similar would just be use the column shortcodes and have a photo + name/position in each column.

Jarrod Davis
    Participant

hmm… Ok thanks.

Something to consider is that part of the flexibility the builder gives should also allow the contents to flow into a standard template.

Jarrod Davis
    Participant

How would I move the breadcrumb over so that it’s flush with rest of the elements at the left?

https://onsetgames.com/temp/breadcrumb.png

Thanks

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Jarrod Davis.
    Jarrod Davis
    Participant

Ok, managed to get it like I want without having to use CSS. I had to adjust the section padding and a few other options until I got it looking like I want.

Update: Hmm… looks like I will have to use CSS after all. It’s just the breadcrumb that I can not fine tune enough with the settings. Why is the margin over that much anyway?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Jarrod Davis.
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Update: Hmm… looks like I will have to use CSS after all. It’s just the breadcrumb that I can not fine tune enough with the settings. Why is the margin over that much anyway?

I think it’s all just an oddity of all this combined with the boxed layout. This would fix that.

.js-boxed #custom-main #breadcrumbs {
        padding: 0;
    }

… And then from there, you can adjust the padding on the actual wrapping element itself in the same way as the other elements by editing the display options.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Actually scratch that, to make it more similar to the standard page layout without doing any custom coding, you could just put the breadcrumbs in their own section. Then, in the display options of the section containing your breadcrumbs, set the padding to 0 on top/right/left (or adjust, as needed).

Specifically to your issue, removing the top/right/left padding on the wrapping section accommodates the 30px of top/right/left padding on breadcrumbs in general, when in the boxed layout.

Jarrod Davis
    Participant

ahh ok. cool thx. Next question, possible to add column inside another column? I can have two columns, sidebar on the right, content in the left, but in the case of the team elements, I need to format them into two columns inside the left column side. Possible? or any suggestions as the best way to do this?

Thanks

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Nope, sorry not possible to put columns within columns, except using shortcodes (but that obviously doesn’t help you here, not having a team member shortcode).

Maybe you could maybe adjust the columns element so that it has three columns like 1/3 – 1/3 – 1/3. But I understand that doesn’t really work if you want content before or after the team member elements that stretches the full 2/3 content space.

You could try setting up your team member elements so that they are in some sort of full-width area before or after the content + sidebar.

Or, the only other thing I can think would be to just have 2 columns how you have now, and then just style the team member elements to be 48% width, with some spacing in between, and floated left. If you let me see a live link to what you have I could show how you to do the CSS for that; it should be fairly simple.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.