This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Child theme custom.css file not including my custom styles

• Creator
    Topic
    tinachapman
    Participant

Kind of strange. I am adding some custom css to the child themes styles.css. Some of them work fine and others don’t. For instance if I put the following in the styles.css file it doesn’t work but if I put it in the theme custom css area it works. Been using Firebug and it makes changes but doesn’t seem to work when I put it in the styles.css

.header_logo .tb-text-logo {
    font-size: 2em;
    }
    I have also tried to add – color: #000000; to it as well to change the color but that doesn’t work in either spot.

I have this added to the styles.css file
    .header_logo .tagline {
    font-size: 1em;
    font-style: normal;
    color: #000000;
    }
    Which changes the color like I want but won’t change the style to normal nor can I change the size.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you view the source of your site, you can see that style.css comes before the theme’s enqued CSS files. So, you’re not overriding the theme with your Child theme’s style.css. If you use the sample Child theme that came with the theme, there is a custom.css file enqued in there for you that proceeds all of the theme’s styles.

Checkout this video: https://vimeo.com/41331677 — It’ll explain this.

tinachapman
    Participant

I was using the Akita child them but one thing I didn’t do was rename it so it’s called Your Child Theme. I installed the WP-editor so I can now see the Theme Files – Assets folder but when I open the assets folder it has the css & images folders but they are in Red with an X in front of them. I can open the css folder and get to the custom.css file but the custom css I put in there still doesn’t take effect. I deleted everything out of the styles.css and the custom theme area but still not working.
    Thanks!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

You got a link to your site I can see?

tinachapman
    Participant

http://www.millelacsresort.com/minnesota

I did put the css back in the custom theme area so it is working at the moment.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Right now, you have no custom.css file included in the of your website. So, this means you’ve altered the inclusion of this CSS file within functions.php of the sample child theme came with the theme. And so it would make sense that putting anything in the file wouldn’t do anything.

This is what your functions.php of the sample Child theme should have looked like at the start. The framework is included and below that, the custom.css file is included.

tinachapman
    Participant

Didn’t alter anything in the functions.php – there was no functions.php. Don’t recall doing it but I must have deleted it. Re-uploaded it and everything works great!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

tinachapman
    Participant

Sorry to bug you again! It seems things are working with the custom.css but I am trying to change the color of tb-text-logo and I have tried a bunch of different css looking at firebug but it just won’t make the change.
    This will change the size but when I add a color” #000000; it won’t change it.
    .header_logo .tb-text-logo {
    font-size: 2em;
    }
    Have tried other css combinations as well but nothing woks for me. What am I missing, if anything??

Also, should I delete the blank styles.css file in the child theme? When looking at the wp-editor in the theme files in Assets, the css & images files are still in RED with an X. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Whether you’re using Chrome or Firebug, the style that takes precedence that you need to override will be at the top.

.body_text_light .header_logo .tb-text-logo a { color: #000000; }

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.