This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Creating layouts within Pages vs. Builder

• Creator
    Topic
    popowski

I am using the boxed version of the site with a light content area. When I create a page is using “pages” there’s a white box around the content set against a cream background, but when I create a page using the layout builder there is no white box. How can I standardize the formatting within the site?

Also, am I missing something, or is the only way to create a list or insert media or to do any basic formatting to content in the layout builder is by using html?

If this is the case, and the people who will be maintaining the site do not know any html (which is a major selling point of creating a site in WordPress), then any page created with the site builder would not be useful to them. Correct?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    popowski

Is the workaround to using the builder, to create pages with chunks of content and then link to an external page from the builder?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am using the boxed version of the site with a light content area. When I create a page is using “pages” there’s a white box around the content set against a cream background, but when I create a page using the layout builder there is no white box. How can I standardize the formatting within the site?

When creating a custom layout, different elements have different styles. For example, the “Content” element of a custom layout when in the “Primary” area will provide the same look as the content of a standard page. However, a “Columns” element (for example) will not have a boxed design around it. — This gives people more flexibility in what they can create and allows the user not to be confined to having everything with a white box around it. Conversely, if you wanted a set of a columns with a box around it, you could use the “Content” element and then use columns shortcodes within it.

Also, am I missing something, or is the only way to create a list or insert media or to do any basic formatting to content in the layout builder is by using html?

Is the workaround to using the builder, to create pages with chunks of content and then link to an external page from the builder?

I assume by workaround, you’re referring to not requiring use of HTML in a custom layout? — If so, yes you are correct. This is why I include the various options. If you want a quick way to put in content and you know basic HTML, you can use the raw content and you don’t have to clunk around with the TinyMCE editor. And if you like using the TinyMCE editor and want to go that route, you’d construct the page externally and just include it in.

popowski

Yes, that’s correct. Thanks, for clarifying. It wasn’t immediately obvious to me what linking to an external page meant from the videos (I assumed it meant a redirect to an external site). This is the first time I’ve worked on a WordPress site so maybe it’s something that’s evident to more experienced users.

As for the first part of the question, is there a way to remove the white box around content when making layouts outside of the builder?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Is there a way to remove the white box around content when making layouts outside of the builder?

No, I’m sorry there’s no feature for this. You’d have to make your own CSS customizations to accomplish things like this outside of the theme’s options.

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

article {
    	background: transparent;
    	border: none;
    	padding: 10px;
    }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

popowski

Thanks for your prompt response, Jason.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.