This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: ,

Creating a gallery with a lightbox?

• Creator
    Topic
    eklyx

Your video tutorial on creating galleries linked to a lightbox is easy to follow, but the recent WP changes to the gallery interface throws up a problem that I hope you can resolve.

The checkboxes shown in the video allowing you to choose “Link to image” are not there anymore (I’m using WP3.5.1). Instead when creating a new gallery there’s a drop-down menu and it seems to show that “Link to Media File” is the default. But when I click the “Insert gallery” option, the lightbox isn’t operational – the short code is there [gallery ids="1281,1282"] but link=”file” is missing? The images link to an attachment page instead.

I’ve seen this mentioned on some of your other theme forums but I can’t read the answers. One thread did mention “clicking on the thumbnails” so I tried that when creating the gallery and had some success but I’m not sure why? Choosing “Attachment Page” first from the drop-down and then choosing “Media File” immediately after seems a bit odd? Adding the “link=file” manually seems to work but I would prefer if it could be achieved without going into the Text tab. Is that possible – what causes “link=file” to be added?

This might be a WP thing or maybe I’m missing something?

Any advice on how to reliably link to the media file?

Many thanks…Rob.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Rob,

This is a bug currently with WordPress. When you select for it to link to the file, same as in the older version, it’s supposed to trigger the link="file" part on the gallery shortcode. They’ve had this in trac for awhile. It’ll be fixed with WP 3.5.2, whenever that eventually gets posted.

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/23298

For now, after you insert the shortcode into your content, you can just type the link="file" manually.

So, when WordPress inserts this:

[gallery ids="1281,1282"]

Simply change it to this:

[gallery ids="1281,1282" link="file"]
    eklyx

Thanks, Jason, I’ll modify the shortcode manually as you suggest until it’s fixed.

Really appreciate the fantastic support you provide.

All the best…Rob.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.