This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

Contact form not working

• Creator
    Topic
    jyropop
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having real problems getting my Contact form to work. I honestly don’t know why it’s not working. It states that the message get’s sent but no sign of the test message in my email or spam. Any suggestions please. Many thanks in advance.

J.

http://www.stephmacleod.com/contact-2/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I noticed it looks like you’re using an email with some kind of custom hosting. Have you tried checking your mail server’s junk or spam mail filter?

Also, as a way to troubleshoot if its your web server or email server, you could try configuring the contact form with an email address from a big service like gmail. — And then see if it comes through there to the inbox or spam folder.

And if you want to experiment with other Contact form plugins, this is a great, free one:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/contact-form-7/

And this is a really great one, but is a pretty pricy:

http://www.gravityforms.com/

jyropop
    Participant

Hi Jason.

It’s all been a bit weird. I currently use Google Apps. I found a few forums that suggested some work arounds but no joy. I got in touch with my web server and they said:

I noticed that this domain uses Google mail servers:

stephmacleod.com mail is handled by 1 aspmx.l.google.com.
    stephmacleod.com mail is handled by 5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
    stephmacleod.com mail is handled by 5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
    stephmacleod.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
    stephmacleod.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.

You need to set it up to use SMTP as sending method instead of the PHP mail() one. This should solve the problem.

They suggested using a plugin like WP-Mail-SMTP to set the sending method to SMTP. I installed and did as they suggested. No joy. I’ve also tried sending test emails to a regular gmail address which isn’t using my domain. No luck there either. Contact Form 7 didn’t send at all.

Gravity looks ideal but I would like to find out how to fix the problem if I can.

Can you suggest anything else that might be the problem? Thanks in advance.

SM.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

The contact form included with this theme is very old. I actually no longer include a contact template at all in any themes, but instead refer every one to use the free Contact Form 7 plugin.

Anyway, the theme’s functionality uses the actual PHP mail function directly, which now isn’t the best practice because there’s a function buil-in to WordPress that handles this called wp_mail. If the theme were using this, you could use these other SMTP plugins you’re referring to.

Actually, on this support website, I use Configure SMTP linked up to Send Grid service to handle sending out all emails from the support forums, like notifications, password resets, etc.

But if you’re really stuck on the contact form template in the theme, it honestly is just about as basic as sending an email with PHP can get, witch just calling PHP mail. You can see how it works in sendmail.php of the theme. If it truly is not sending the email at all, the question is no longer about WordPress — It’s simply why will your server not allow you to use php mail? I’m sure your host could probably answer that for you, too.

jyropop
    Participant

Sound. I’ll give it a good look over and get back to you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Commodore WordPress Theme (formerly Complexity)’ is closed to new topics and replies.