This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Connecting Blog to Floating Widget On Home Page

• Creator
    Topic
    dandeigan
    Participant

Hello, I have searched the topics and I can’t find one that really matches this. I am taking over a project from another developer and my client is looking to add a rolling blog to a 1/3 column from a floating widget on the home page. Is this even possible through the Alyska Theme? I have added another widget and have been able to load the most recent post but I only see so far that it sets the entire page width.

The site is http://www.michellecolonjohnson.com

Any ideas?

Joy!

Dan

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Dan,

Ok, so hopefully I’m understanding you. You’re using the Layout Builder for your homepage, you have a “Columns” element in that layout, and you want one of the columns to show blog posts. —

Option 1: If you have the “Content source” of the column set to a floating widget area, then the only option would be to put the “Theme Blvd Mini Post List” widget, or any other widget you want to use that lists out blog posts.

WordPress has a “Recent Posts” widget by default that lists out post titles. Additionally, I’m sure you can find tons of free plugins on wordpress.org that have widgets that list out blog posts in various ways.

Option 2: If you select “Raw content” for the content source, then you’ve got the theme’s shortcodes you could potentially use. Here are some shortcodes the theme has that display posts:

http://www.themeblvd.com/demo/alyeska/features/shortcodes/shortcodes-display-posts/

And similarly, I’m sure you could find plugins that have shortcodes listing blog posts in various ways.

dandeigan
    Participant

Hello Jason, yes sir. that is exactly what I am looking for. I have reviewed your attachments and the “Mini” post link is what I would need. When I go to add it for some reason, it is not working. It works with the regular post_grid and post_list but not with the min_post_list or mini_post-grid sections. I like the idea of using a short code instead of a widget but if I have to, I will resort to a widget.

Please let me know if I have this shortcode wrong here

[mini_post_list categories=”Connecting,Gratitude,Growth,Passion,Professionalism,Prosperity”” thumbs=”default” post_content=”excerpt” numberposts=”1″ orderby=”post_date” order=”DESC” offset=”0″ link=”true” link_target=”_self”]

Thank you again my friend.

Dan

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Aw, I see. It looks like your site is running Alyeska v2.0.1, and the mini post list/grid shortcodes were a featured added in Alyeska 2.1. So, unless you update the theme, you won’t be able to get these shortcodes.

dandeigan
    Participant

Sorry to ask Jason, does this update cost?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Nope, updates are always free on ThemeForest. You just login to the account that you purchased with at Themeforest.net, go to My Account > Downloads, and download the theme again.

dandeigan
    Participant

I got it sir. Now I also have a client with a Supermassive theme and when we did the update it sent his site into such a whirl. Sidebars etc were gone. Now they said that this might happen. Can I expect something of that nature here too?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t be too bad, but you should never be making updates like that on a live website and just seeing what happens, you know? You should have some sort of staging environment to update and push to the live server.

dandeigan
    Participant

Yep, that I don’t have access to so I will have to get it then see what happens. You are correct.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.