This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Chinese Characters disappear after publish

• Creator
    Topic
    bigaussie
    Participant

I am using the WPML plugin for multilingual. The plugin is installed correctly and appears to be working.

The problem is: as soon as I copy and paste Chinese characters into the Visual editor or the html editor — when I click on the Publish/Update button — once the server refreshes the page after saving, there is nothing saved. All characters are gone.

In case it was a problem with the wpml plugin, I tried copying some Chinese characters into an English page, that would not work either.

I have checked the encoding of MySQL – it is set to UTF8, as is the encoding of the page.
    The website in question: http://www.charpac.com.au

I have now also discovered that we will not be able to use the Google Fonts with the Chinese characters for any of the Heading Text (H1, H2 etc) — Not sure how we will maintain the same look and feel; suggestions here too would be appreciated.

Any pointers where to start looking with the CPanel based server would be great. I have WHM control over the server, so can adjust as needed. I also have this installed on a staging server, so can try suggestion out without harming the existing website.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m sorry but I really don’t have any experience with this personally, but this wouldn’t have anything to do with the theme — just meaning the theme does not do anything to your post’s content when it’s being saved.

I’ve only dealt with a handful of customers using the theme in RTL/TTB languages, and I’ve never heard of an issue like this one. But if this is something you’re running into, I’d have to think others have run into it, as well. Have you tried posting on the wordpress.org forums?

I don’t think the issue relates to the WPML plugin specifically, either, but if you’ve paid for WPML, I’d take advantage of their awesome support. I’d have to think if this is a general issue people run into with WordPress, people at WPML will be much more familiar with the subject.

I have now also discovered that we will not be able to use the Google Fonts with the Chinese characters for any of the Heading Text (H1, H2 etc) — Not sure how we will maintain the same look and feel; suggestions here too would be appreciated.

Now I guess this would be more in the theme territory, but again, I just really don’t have any experience with this topic. I would imagine that fonts for displaying Chinese characters would require entirely different fonts all together, correct? So, I’m not sure how you’d expect maintain the look and feel of fonts used in the theme’s demo made for the English characters.

You may want to just target the header with CSS to pick fonts that are made for the Chinese symbols.

http://www.kendraschaefer.com/2012/06/chinese-standard-web-fonts-the-ultimate-guide-to-css-font-family-declarations-for-web-design-in-simplified-chinese/

/* Body Text */
    body {
    	font-family: ...;
    }

/* Headers */
    h1, 
    h2, 
    h3, 
    h4, 
    h5, 
    h6, 
    .slide-title {
    }

/* Special Font */
    #branding .header_logo .tb-text-logo,
    #featured .media-full .slide-title,
    #content .media-full .slide-title,
    #featured .featured-entry-title .entry-title,
    #content .featured-entry-title .entry-title,
    .element-slogan .slogan .slogan-text,
    .element-tweet {
    }
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.