This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Changes in WP-editor not showing on site

• Creator
    Topic

Hi,

first off, I love this theme – very easy and intuitive to use.

I’ve watched your customisation video and installed the Akita Child theme in order to start introducing my own customisations, installed the WP-Editor plugin and used Firebug to start identifying the code to customise. I’ve set the Dark Purple colour scheme and copied over the Dark Purple CSS from colours.css into the WP-Editor.

Although I have tweaked some of the image files (they’re a bit rough & ready at the moment, will be tweaked further for a more elegant finish) I intend to use the WP-Editor to specify slightly different filenames in the child theme, so that when I update Akita, it won’t matter.

Please bear in mind I’m relatively new to CSS. When I identify the code to change using firebug, I find the equivalent in the WP Editor but when I change the code and save it, the changes don’t show up on the site. The elements I specifically want to change are in the box immediately around the video and its border:

http://presencedesign.co.uk/pbm/showreel/

I wasn’t sure that I’d copied over the right code, so I copied the code I changed in Firebug and put it in the WP-editor – but that had the effect of breaking the theme, so now about to rebuild.

OK, live & learn … but I’d really appreciate it if you could tell me where to find the right code, and what to put where, in order to have the changes from the WP-editor appear on the site.

Many thanks in anticipation for your help.

David

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m not totally sure I’m following this topic. The WP Editor is just a 3rd-party plugin that makes code a little easier edit from your WordPress admin panel. But I can see your custom.css file is empty:

http://presencedesign.co.uk/pbm/wp-content/themes/akita-child/assets/css/custom.css

I think this more of a question for the people who make the WP Editor plugin, right? You’re basically just trying to get your code to save to your CSS file located in your Child theme and you can’t? I’m honestly not sure on that one unless your files in your Child theme folder aren’t writeable on your server. — http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-editor

Also, you don’t have to use the editor in your WP admin to edit the files if you don’t want to. You could also edit them locally on your computer and update them on your server with an FTP program. This is probably more ideal than through the actual WordPress admin panel. I really only show that plugin in the video because it makes it easy to show people the relevant information without having to teach about unrelated topics like how to upload files to a web server, etc.

Hi,

I don’t know if my post was unclear, or something, but hey ho. Yes, my point was about about trying to get the code to save to the CSS file, and thinking I must have got something wrong.

I understand your reasong for showing the WP-editor plugin in the video, and I’ll uninstall it because it’s clear I don’t need it. However, in the video, it was possible to access custom.css in the Assets folder from that plugin, but on my site, this file wasn’t accessible via that plugin for whatever reason. So I ended up editing styles.css instead, not entirely convinced this was the right thing to do and that I must be missing something.

Anyway, I’ve just read Tina Chapman’s CSS post and your reply, and that convinced me to access my files via CPanel and find the custom.css file in the Child theme. I’ve added some code, and some changes are now showing up.

Thanks for your time.

David

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi David,

If the WP Editor plugin isn’t working for you, and you find that more convenient to use, don’t hesitate to post in their support forum. The author over there is pretty responsive. I’m sure he can help. I’m just not really sure how to troubleshoot it. I’ve never personally had any problems with it. — http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-editor

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.