This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: ,

Change Tab Text Color

• Creator
    Topic
    sunday
    Participant

Pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere, I have read through.

I’d like the text in the TABS to stand out more.

The light-grey for the inactive tabs is too light.

Do you have a quick custom css option?

Thanks.

(If you’re working on a future upgrade, it would be great to be able to control the active/inactive Tab colors.)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

For CSS changes, it’s a good idea to use a tool like firebug or Google Chrome’s built-in developer tools to locate them and then put the edits either in your child theme or in the “Custom CSS” option on your theme options page.

/* Inactive tabs */
    .tb-tabs-framed .tab-nav ul li a { ... }

/* Active tab */
    .tb-tabs-framed .tab-nav ul li.active a { ... }

Also, here’s a helpful tutorial on how to use Firebug – http://vimeo.com/20917974. The only thing I’d suggest not doing is actually making edits to the theme’s CSS files, as it shows at the end of that video. However, the video serves as a good introduction to Firebug and how it can be used to find what CSS is effecting certain areas of your site without ever digging around in any files.

sunday
    Participant

Perfect. thx

I think this request goes along with my posted request about “grey” being a little too light for the old eyes and certain devices, …especially after staring at this damn screen all day.

NEXT QUESTION:

I’ve been using Chrome’s Inspector to test code changes.

I want to change the TAG COLOR used in the titles of pages and widget, but Inspector is telling me it’s in the lightmin.css file, which of course, can’t be found in the WP Editor list of css files. I’d look for it properly but I see that you have suggested NOT to make those changes in theme files.

So I need the custom CSS code for that as well, when you have a moment.

(If there’s an FAQ somewhere that would keep me from posting once a week, feel free to tell me)

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Use your inspector to see what CSS is effecting an area, and then use that in your own Custom CSS to override the theme’s CSS, which comes before.

So, in other words, the theme has something like this somewhere within its files:

.whatever { font-size: 12px; }

You can see this with your inspector, and so then in your Child theme’s custom.css, which comes after, you do this to override it:

.whatever { font-size: 14px; }

You shouldn’t be going and editing any files of the theme. The whole idea of a Child theme is to consolidate your edits to the Child theme. If you make edits directly to the theme files, you’ll never be able to freely update the theme in the future. You’re free to do this, but the Child theme and consolidating your edits truly is a good idea.

Also, if you haven’t watched the Child theme video which covers about sample child theme that comes with the theme, make sure and view that: http://vimeo.com/41331677

sunday
    Participant

Thanks,
    The devil is in the “use that in your own Custom CSS”.
    I’m a piker at CSS, –which is why I enjoy WP/Alyeska.

Here’s what I have found via Inspector.
    I seem to be LACKING the correct syntax when I paste it in the Custom CSS field in Theme Editor.

media=”all”
    h1, h2, h3, h6 {
    color: #05489B;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #fff;
    }

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This would be the proper syntax:

h1, h2, h3, h6 {
    color: #05489B;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #fff;
    }

You don’t want the media=”all” part.

sunday
    Participant

That did it! Thanks again.

Question: How much time should I put between my questions up here so as not to be a nuisance?

btw…my site is http://www.sundaysoftware.com
    For a software developer, you’d think I wouldn’t be so CS-Senseless.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.