This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Cannot Modify Header Error Message

• Creator
    Topic
    lisastockwell
    Participant

I continue to get an error message when I try to save any changes to my theme options. The problem first kept me from seeing the site on any browser except Safari, or from getting into my WP-admin. With GoDaddy’s help, I renamed the theme to BarelyCorporate.test, activated that and then reactivated the theme and the site showed up again. I reloaded the header image into the theme options panel. All seems to be good again but I still get this message when I do a “save”:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/25/9891225/html/wp-content/themes/barelycorporate/functions.php:1) in /home/content/25/9891225/html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881

Any thoughts on what is going on or what I might need to fix? I do not know anything about coding.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

This message would indiciate that somewhere there is an extra space or line in a PHP file that shouldn’t be there.

http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_Troubleshooting#How_do_I_solve_the_Headers_already_sent_warning_problem.3F

Have you tried disabling all of your plugins? Have you made any edits to the theme files? Are you using a Child theme? What version of the theme are you using?

lisastockwell
    Participant

I had not made any edits to the theme files. I’m using the main theme since the Child Theme did not seem to provide as many asset. And I thought I only needed to use that if I planned to do any coding myself. The version I’m using is 3.1.5.

I got back into the WP admin for a bit and then got the error message again. So I renamed the theme once again so I could access the WP-Admin panel. That allowed me to deactivate the two plugins I had added: Akismet and Jetpack. Could those have created a problem? I’ll wait to see if this happens again.

I did have someone who knew coding add the image into the header for me, but I assume he used the Theme Options panel you provided. Where/how do I access the PHP file to see if there is an extra space or line? Or is that something best to leave to someone who knows coding (in which case I’ll turn to an expert).

Thanks,
    Lisa

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by lisastockwell.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Jason Bobich.
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

This shouldn’t be the case with the theme and you shouldn’t be needing to rummage through any themes files looking for an extra space that makes people unable to save the theme options. If that were the case, you probably wouldn’t be the only one in the forum with this error, right?

But I’d be glad to check it out for you, if you like. Set up your site so you’re getting the error message and then send me over your FTP login information and your WordPress admin login information. You can send the info privately by going to My Account > Submit private info here on the support website.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.