This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Cannot Apply layouts and other issues

• Creator
    Topic
    inetinitiatives
    Participant

Hi Jason,

This is so weird, I’m tearing my hair out. The other day I was not able to have featured images linked to lightboxes. The bizarre thing is, we HAD featured images launching lightboxes and then BANG, we couldn’t add any more. The previously added ones continue to work, there’s just no interface anywhere (image editing, featured image selection, etc.) to select that the featured image launches a larger version in a lightbox. We haven’t updated the theme (4.03) and the only thing I think we did was update WordPress to 3.8.0. After ages I finally found your plugin for lightboxes and got the functionality back… but have no idea how we even had it in the first place only to lose it.

Now I can’t get a custom layout to apply to a page. I’ve tried everything… all other areas jibe: custom widget areas are created, widgets can be placed, everything is saved, the layout is available in the Builder, custom layout is applied, but it just won’t load the page with the layout. AND our existing custom layouts are just fine. What could be happening?

Help!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Is it possible you have items hidden under your Screen Options tab when editing a page?

inetinitiatives
    Participant

No, that’s not it. The page that I’ve created has the custom layout selector/creator box displayed and I’ve created the layout, floating widget areas and loaded content into the widgets. However its as if the custom layout is just not engaging with the page; the page displays none of the elements added to it.

I only have one other custom layout for this site and that’s for the homepage. I can adjust that layout, add new elements, etc., I just can’t get a new custom layout to work.

Here’s what I did: I created a brand new layout with a 3 column element; the first column should display raw text (which I’ve supplied), the second some content that was already in a widget, and another with just raw text. I saved the layout, created a new page, selected the new custom layout and updated the page…. when I view the page, all the page elements load except the elements created in the builder.

http://s26.postimg.org/rsxys3ll5/1_builder_interface.jpg
    http://s26.postimg.org/atp0cuadl/2_builder_interface.jpg
    http://s26.postimg.org/blroc1ekp/3_builder_interface.jpg
    http://s26.postimg.org/upkzsdrex/4_page_missing_builder_elements.jpg

Should I reinstall the plug-in? I’m assuming that the plug-in itself is fine as I can manipulate the existing custom layout.

Thanks for your help.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Do you have the “Custom Layout” page template selected for that page? — This is under Page Attributes box in the right column when editing a page.

inetinitiatives
    Participant

I wonder if you can hear the palm of my hand slapping my forehead all the way up in Alaska?!

Dang… and here I somehow got it in my head that if the custom layout were being manipulated via the editing box on the page (ever since the update that moved this function to a plugin) that would be all there was to do. Completely forgot about the template selector.

Thanks a million.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Well glad you figured it out!

inetinitiatives
    Participant

Hi Jason, I have a question or two about Jumpstart… but as I haven’t bought the theme yet I can’t post this to the appropriate forum. Hopefully you can treat this as a ‘pre-sales’ question. 🙂

I know enough to be dangerous with the TB themes that I’ve bought and used: Alyeska, Akita, Barely Corporate, etc. I’m pretty strong in Photoshop and know my way around Firebug but I’m not strong in CSS nor have I done much with the functions file or with page templates (i.e. manipulating them in a child theme).

When using Jumpstart and wanting to customize the menu colors, etc., are there any ‘helpers’ within the theme or do the CSS and template files (i.e., in a child theme) need direct manipulation? I guess I’m trying to figure out if I will actually have the ability to implement a more custom design using the types of theme options panels that I’m used to from your other themes…

Thanks for your feedback!

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

If you know nothing about CSS or design, then it may be difficult because you have more of a blank slate you’re working with. But I think if you know basic CSS and you have an idea of what you want to achieve, it’ll actually be a little easier for you than some of these other themes. The reason for that is there’s less preset styles to sift through and override.

For example, have tried customizing the Alyeska menu? It’s setup with such a specific, complicated look already, if you want to make changes to it, it can be quite difficult.

In terms of Jump Start’s CSS, the goal is to make everything as stripped-down and simple as possible so you’re not “overriding” a lot, but adding on. And specifically to the Jump Start menu, that’s probably the most challenging CSS out of everything. And so in the starter child themes, I have a pretty well commented section to make it easier so you’re essentially just editing that. Here’s what it looks like from one of the starter child themes, as an example:

/* Primary Navigation */
    #access {
    	background-color: #fbfbfb;
    	background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #f5f5f5);
    	background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #f5f5f5);
    	background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, 0 0, 0 100%, from(#ffffff), to(#f5f5f5));
    	background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #f5f5f5);
    	background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #f5f5f5);
    	background-image: linear-gradient(top, #ffffff, #f5f5f5);
    	background-repeat: repeat-x;
    	filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr='#ffffff', endColorstr='#f5f5f5', GradientType=0);
    	border: 1px solid #dddddd;
    	-webkit-border-radius: 3px;
    	-moz-border-radius: 3px;
    	border-radius: 3px;
    }

/* Level 1-3 */
    #primary-menu li a {
    	color: #666666;
    }
    #primary-menu li a .sf-sub-indicator {
    	color: #999999; /* Because we're using fontawesome for the icons, we can change the color here. */
    }

/* Level 1 only */
    #primary-menu > li {
    	border-right: solid 1px #dddddd;
    }
    #primary-menu > li > a {
    	line-height: 40px; /* Shapes the HEIGHT of the 1st level anchors */
    	padding: 0 20px;
    }
    #primary-menu > li:first-child > a {
    	/* Round left corners of first anchor */
    	-webkit-border-top-left-radius: 3px;
    	-webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 3px;
    	-moz-border-radius-topleft: 3px;
    	-moz-border-radius-bottomleft: 3px;
    	border-top-left-radius: 3px;
    	border-bottom-left-radius: 3px;
    }
    #primary-menu > li.current_page_item > a {
    	/* Style current active menu item on 1st level */
    	background: #ffffff;
    }
    #primary-menu > li.current-menu-ancestor > a {
    	/* Style current parent menu item present on 1st level */
    }
    #primary-menu > li > a.sf-with-ul {
    	/* If a top-level menu item has a dropdown, reduce its right padding. */
    	padding-right: 12px;
    }
    #primary-menu > [class^="menu-icon-"] > a {
    	/* If a top-level menu item has a an icon, reduce its left
    	padding. You can add icons to main menu by adding class "menu-icon-{whatever}" */
    	padding-left: 12px;
    }
    #primary-menu > li > a:hover {
    	background: #f2f2f2;
    }

/* Level 2 and 3 */
    #primary-menu ul {
    	background: #ffffff;
    	border: 1px solid #dddddd;
    	width: 200px; /* Width of dropdown menus */
    }
    #primary-menu li li a {
    	padding: 7px 10px;
    }
    #primary-menu li li a:hover,
    #primary-menu li li a:focus {
    	background: #f2f2f2;
    }
    #primary-menu li li.nav-header {
    	color: #888888; /* Slightly lighter color than links */
    	font-size: .9em; /* Font size is 90% of everything else to componsate for being bold and uppercase */
    	font-weight: bold;
    	padding: 7px 10px;
    	text-transform: uppercase;
    }
    #primary-menu li li.divider {
    	background-color: #dddddd; /* Color of deviders */
    	border-bottom: none; /* Override Bootstrap's default 1px white bottom border */
    }

/* Level 2 only */
    #primary-menu > li > ul {
    	border-top: none;
    	margin-left: -1px; /* Shifts dropdowns to the left 1px so they line up with left borders. */
    	margin-top: 1px;
    }

/* Level 3 only */
    #primary-menu ul ul {
    	left: 200px; /* Matches width of dropdown menus */
    }
    inetinitiatives
    Participant

Thanks very much for the response Jason, I appreciate it as always. Will likely buy JumpStart soon and give it a try.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Barely Corporate Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.