This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Builder for individual pages?

• Creator
    Topic
    Sean Wilkins
    Participant

Perhaps I am just missing something obvious, is there a way to use the Builder to create custom layouts for pages other then the home page; e.g. the single post page, category pages?

What I am looking to do is use slightly different layouts from the home page to the single post pages as well as with the category pages (perhaps others). I didn’t find any obvious way to change the default single post page (or category page) to use a specific custom layout (I did find where this is in the code but I didn’t want to chance that unless I had to).

thx

-sean

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    John
    Participant

Create your layout in builder, go to the page where you want the layout, under template (page attributes, right sidebar of page editor) choose custom layout , then you get a drop-down of your custom layouts.
    john

John
    Participant

Sean,
    On the new theme version also see here:

http://support.themeblvd.com/forums/topic/cannot-apply-layouts/

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello Sean,

The purpose of the Builder is to create layouts that replace the content of static Pages, and by that I mean WordPress “Pages” specifically — Custom layouts are not meant to be re-usable template in that sense of the word and they cannot be applied to other WordPress pages like archives.

You can create as many custom layouts as you want and apply them to pages under the “Custom Layout” meta box when editing pages. You can also edit the layouts from there, as well.

I’ve got a plugin for applying layouts to posts, but it needs to be updated to work with all the changes that happened last week. But I think you may be thinking of this more as some sort of “template” you’re then going to apply to a series of posts, which is not the intention of the Builder.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/theme-blvd-layouts-to-posts/

[edit] This plugin in theory actually still should work with the new system, but I haven’t tested it yet.

Sean Wilkins
    Participant

This plugin should actually do what I want it to do, however when I assign a custom layout to a post for each element I add I get the “Invalid Layout ID: The layout ID currently assigned to this page no longer exists.” message. I assume this is something that could have been changed in the recent code updates. any idea when you will have the bandwidth to work on this?

thanks

-sean

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

All right, I just updated the plugin and it should work now with the current version of Jump Start, as well as old themes. Look for a v1.0.1 update soon on your Plugins page of your WP dashboard. Let me know if there’s a problem with it.

Sean Wilkins
    Participant

Thank you very much, I appreciate the dedicated cycles..

-sean

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.