This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Builder Content and Theme Settings gone on server change.

• Creator
    Topic
    objectivej

HI Jason,

Just a question about server change really. I edited and customised your theme Alyeska and followed this guide for server change.

http://www.jasonbobich.com/web-design/moving-wordpress-to-a-new-server/

However although the website seems to go up live there seems to be two main issues, firstly the theme looses all customisation, so it reverts back to the blue Alyeska stadard theme, and I also loose all content from my builder. So My pages are still there and the builder elements that relate to them. However when I go into a builder element, all the actual content isn’t there any more. Do you have any idea why this may be?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    objectivej

on further investigation I know where the content is located and have made sure all string lengths are correct. However although all the pages appear, none of the builder content, widget area content or pre-set style style appears. Do these all rely on the db to store their settings? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Yes, these items are all stored in your WordPress database. If you’re losing any of these elements it has something to do with what you’re doing when transferring your MySQL database. So, how are you transferring your database when moving the site?

objectivej

We basically followed you guide, which seems very good. The only deviation we made from it was that due to the fact we were using the same database we didn’t change the location, we just ran queries to change the url within the DB. To be honest thats where the problem seems to of gone wrong. All builder content, widgets and pre-set style on your theme seem to of vanished. We aren’t sure which change within the DB will of done this?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

We just ran queries to change the url within the DB.

Yup, this is exactly what will do it. In my tutorial, see the note at the top of Step #2 in the yellow box. You’re working with data that is serialized so it can be stored. This means that the length of every string involved in the serialized data is crucial.

Do you have a backup of the database that you can put back, so you can do it over again? If so, you’d want to use something like this: http://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/ — But if you can’t put the database back the way it was, you’re kind of just stuck with the way things are; the data is lost.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Alyeska Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.