This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Tagged: 

BuddyPress v1.7

• Creator
    Topic
    AAOM
    Participant

Hello,

I am interested in using buddypress with my akita theme. My understanding is that the new buddypress is supposed to be compatible–do you have any information about how this works with your theme, and suggestions if any configurations are necessary?

Thanks,
    Rick

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

Just in general, BuddyPress now will integrate into any theme better than before. Themes no longer need to develop specific support for the plugin; the idea is that it will be filtered into your current theme automatically. I’ve never used it with Akita, and I honestly am not very well-versed in the plugin, so I can’t really speak to any other specifics with BuddyPress and Akita.

AAOM
    Participant

Hello again,

I installed the latest version of BP (1.8.1)

I was expecting the latest version of BP to be compatible with my theme without any additional work.

However, after installing BP and assigning the initial pages during setup (members/register/ activate) the layout of the pages is not correct. There are no sidebars, and a site directory appears at the bottom of the page.

For instance:
    http://aaom.mb.ca/activate-bp/
    http://aaom.mb.ca/members-buddypress/

Do you have any suggestions?

I have posted a question in the BP support.

Previously posted information there suggests that changes have to be made to the headers and footers of several template files…I am not sure if this is what you would suggest:
    Thanks, Rick)

@keats18 Per scan of your theme’s HTML structure, you’d need to use the first option, i.e., change 16 template files within the 6 BP folders transferred to your Akita theme folder in server during the compatibility process.

If you’ve previously changed any of the BP template files in your theme folder, replace all of them for a clean slate by deleting the 6 BP folders in server – /activity, /blogs, /forums, /groups, /members, and /registration – then re-run Appearance > BP Compatibility.

Download the 6 clean BP folders to your computer hard drive.

A. At the top of each of those 16 template files I linked to above, replace
    `

`

with
    `

`

Save files.
    @mercime
    Keymaster

@mercime

1 year, 1 month ago

B. At the bottom of the same 16 files, replace:
    `

`

with the following (except for registration/register.php):
    `

<?php
    themeblvd_main_bottom();
    themeblvd_main_end();
    get_footer();`

with the following for registration/register.php:
    `

jQuery(document).ready( function() {
    if ( jQuery(‘div#blog-details’).length && !jQuery(‘div#blog-details’).hasClass(‘show’) )
    jQuery(‘div#blog-details’).toggle();
    jQuery( ‘input#signup_with_blog’ ).click( function() {
    jQuery(‘div#blog-details’).fadeOut().toggle();
    });
    });

<?php
    themeblvd_main_bottom();
    themeblvd_main_end();
    get_footer();`

Save files.

C. Upload the 6 BP folders containing the 16 files you’ve just revised to your server wp-content/themes/akita/

Thanks
    Rick

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hi,

Can I see a link to this topic over on bbPress forums?

AAOM
    Participant
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

I believe that information in that topic is only relevant with BuddyPress 1.6 and earlier, before they had the theme-compat feature introduced in 1.7. Also, the code they’re referencing is located within footer.php and not the 16 template files (as of Akita 2.0+). In other words, I don’t think any information there is relevant to you.

I’m not all that familiar with BuddyPress, but on my end, I’m testing buddyPress with Akita and I’m not getting the same results as you. All pages are intact for me and I’m able to use theme-compat properly. Are you sure you’re not doing something to mess with theme compat? Maybe you’ve selected a different kind of template with BuddyPress or your overriding certain plugin template files from your child theme? Or is theme-compat something that can be turned off in BuddyPress? — Not sure on that one; I’m just testing with BuddyPress in its default state.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Akita Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.