This is searchable archive of our old support forums, which operated from 2012 - 2016. To find out how to get support for your current theme, please visit our support page.

Blog Posts Cutting Off Abruptly

• Creator
    Topic
    kwh
    Participant

We’ve been using Swagger since 2011 for a website for our annual convention. After updating it for our 2013 event a few weeks ago, I just noticed yesterday that single blog posts, and also any page that uses Post Lists, are ending abruptly after the post’s content ends, thus no comments, sidebars, footer etc. appear after the post (in pages that use Post Lists, it ends after the first post content).

You can see one in action here:

http://accaconference.com/whats-new-for-2013/

When you view the code you can see how it just ends after the content. I turned on javascript console in Chrome and am not seeing any errors.

On all other pages etc everything seems to show up fine — it’s just blog posts and post lists.

I deactivated all of my plugins and the problem remains. Maybe this is something to do with a change made somewhere in the child theme — but if so we have no idea where to start looking. I thought I would check and see if you might have any idea where the conflict could be coming from. We do have customized child theme files for comments.php, content-single.php, and content.php but when those are renamed, the problem still occurs.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

Hello,

So, when you see everything die like that, it is a fatal error in PHP. This isn’t going to be anything that’s going to show up in your Google Chrome inspector as the issue is happening server-side, where you do not have errors setup to show. This issue would be a little easier to diagnose if you had PHP errors turned on in your PHP configuration. It’s generally pretty common that when you configure PHP, you have it setup to show such errors, just in general.

Honestly, I’d just contact your webhost and ask them to edit your php.ini or whatever to quickly switch PHP errors on, or explain to them what’s going on and they can check your server’s error logs for you. Having PHP errors on will help you to diagnose such issues in the future, as well. That is the most efficient way to know exactly what line of code in your WordPress install is causing the issue.

The problem, as you eluded to, happens just after the_content function runs. content-single.php is no longer used in the theme, so that wouldn’t be doing anything. content.php is what’s used for displaying single posts. And content-list.php is what’s used for displaying posts in a post list. So, if you truly haven’t edited content-list.php, then most likely it’s nothing that you’ve done in any of the template parts because you said it happens with post lists.

Rather, I’d look at any kinds of filters you’ve put on WordPress’s “the_content” filter from your Child theme’s functions.php. Or possibly you’ve copied a function from the framework to your Child theme’s functions.php that the framework filters onto the_content, that has since been edited?

Jason Bobich
    Keymaster

On second thought, now I’m looking at your site and I see a standard page here:

http://accaconference.com/schedule-of-events/

There is no issue there, and that would be uses WordPress’s the_content function, as well. Are you totally sure about what template parts you’re editing?

Here’s a table of all the template parts and what they control:

http://dev.themeblvd.com/tutorial/editable-content-files/#default-files

kwh
    Participant

Jason, thanks. You are right, it’s PHP; I renamed my child theme’s functions.php and the site started working again, with posts showing up fine. It’s been so long since this theme was created I’m not even sure what some of the code in the functions.php was even supposed to do, or what was breaking the_content, and since everything seems to work, I guess whatever was in there probably isn’t necessary anymore anyway. Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Swagger Responsive WordPress Theme’ is closed to new topics and replies.